Bleeding air problem

Well all done with the calipars.. after trying to bleed air out for 5 hrs (went through at least 5L of break fluid) I gave up. I had replaced just the two rear calipers, and during replacement, the reservoir got really low. All the same, after 5L I was still getting the same amount of bubbles as when I had started. Eventually I got so ticked off that I just closed up all the valves, double checked everything was torqued correctly (which everything was), and put on the wheels.

The procedure I used to bleed was to attatch a vinyl hose about 1.5 feet long to the bleeder valve on one side, to a glass jar at the other. I would get a friend to push the pedal gently a few times, then tell him to hold it, I would open the bleeder valve, let the pressure vent, then close the valve, get him to release the pedal and repeat until the entire vinyl hose was full of fluid, then I would open the valve and air would bubble up. At all times there was at least 1" of break fluid above the valve in the hose so no air ever got sucked in. Once air stopped bubbling out (usually displacing about

1 ft of brake fluid in the hose) I would close the valve, then once again get my friend to pump the pedal gently a few times, get him to hold it, open the valve, release the pressure, close it, let up on the pedal and repeat the whole process over.

After about 3 hours of air coming out of the RR, I got tired and decided to try the LR (there was still air in the RR line though). Same deal there. I was unable to open the valves on the front tires. I tried driving and it is spongy but enough for me to get to the local brake place where I'll get them to bleed all the lines. With everything closed up, the pedal does not sink at all and I found no leaks (I only replaced the rear calipers and didn't touch anything else) so I highly doubt air was getting in.

Tomorrow I'll take it to a brake place, but in the meantime, any idea where I went wrong?

Thanks again, Dan

Reply to
DS

Good God ! 5 liters......

I gave up. I had replaced just the

At all times

I feel your pain. I am having a tough time bleeding my brakes too. There's always a few small bubbles in the fluid.

Reply to
Lecher9000

you had to close the bleeder valve before your buddy let the peddle back up. check the master cylinder for air; pump the pedal three times then loosen the metal lines that come out of the master cylinder, let the fluid out and then tighten the hose. repeat until there is no air present.

Reply to
FELIG