Bleeding clutch system

I bleed my brake system every 3 years.

Do I also need to bleed the clutch system (on my manual trans)? If so, how often?

Also, am I really supposed to use brake fluid in the clutch system?

Thanks

Reply to
Martin Lynch

It wouldn't hurt to bleed the clutch every couple of years, and purge the old fluid, depending on how difficult it is to reach the bleeder screw. If the clutch has trouble disengaging, or feels funny, particularly as things get hot, this can be a sign that the clutch needs to be bled, due to air bubbles in the system or water trapped in the fluid boiling when things get hot. I see a fair number of postings on the SABMAG mailing list (for Honda Sabre/Magna Motorcycles) that touch on this topic, the principles would be the same with a car or truck.

As for the proper type of fluid, check your owner's manual or Chilton, Haynes, or factory manual, but I wouldn't be suprised that they use brake fluid, as it operates under similar conditions. My old Nissan Pickup used brake fluid for the clutch, and so does my Honda V-30 Magna motorcycle. Double check though, since mixing fluid types, for example using power steering or automatic transmission fluid, or the wrong type of brake fluid can cause problems. Most systems these days are DOT4, but some of the newer high performance systems are DOT5. Mixing these two types is an instant recipe for trouble. Using the wrong fluid, or mixing incompatible fluids can cause seal deterioration, corrosion, or have improper compressibility characteristics.

Reply to
Bruce Nolte N3LSY