Blower fan (AC/Heat) doesnt work

I have a 97 Accord with 260K, the climate control fan doesnt work anymore on any selected fan speed. No noises, just silence. My assumption is a blown blower motor. I already checked the 40amp fuse under the hood. There were a few days over the past 2-months that the blower motor wouldnt work, but it usually came back in an hour or if I opened and slammed the glove box. Oddly enough the blower motor was replaced at 160K after making annoying noises and then finally faily. Just wondering if this could be anything else than just a blower motor. Thanks

Reply to
techman41973

could be the resistor block but they tend to go out one or two speeds at a time....

Reply to
Brent

"There were a few days over the past 2-months that the blower motor wouldnt work, but it usually came back in an hour or if I opened and slammed the glove box. "

What you are describing are the typical symptoms of a motor with worn out brushes. If you strike the motor casing with the back of your hand you may find that it comes back to life temporarily.

You can see if the motor can be disassembled and the armature turned down and new brushes installed(check with a local electric motor/ alternator rebuild shop) , or you can opt for a new motor.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

My daughter's 95 Civic did the same thing. There was power going to the fan motor, but the fan was not spinning. She got a new fan motor and installed it herself, and it's worked ever since.

If I remember correctly, the motor was just worn out after >200kmiles and

12 years.
Reply to
Mike Iglesias

there is usually a 'poly fuse' in the resistor pack that can be intermittant (why I don't know). I had this problem a few week ago on a van. ended up replacing hte poly fuse with a standard ATO use in an external fuse holder with pig tails.

: :

Reply to
NotMe

I know on a GM with worn brushes you can get it to run a bit more by tapping the blower motor with a pair of pliers. but ultimately you need a new blower motor

Reply to
hubcit