bogging down while accelerating

I've got a 94 dodge ram 2500. My cat. converter recently became plugged up and my truck began to bog down severely anytime I applied a little more than light pressure. I busted out the guts of the cat. hoping that a chunk of honeycomb was preventing full exhaust release. This did not fix the problem. If I apply a little more than light pressure to the gas pedal the truck completely bogs down and almost begins to buck until I let go of the gas. There is no backfiring. A month ago I took it to the dealer to have a check eng. light diagnosed and they told me my egr valve was the source of the CEL. But at that time the truck ran fine. When I cleaned out my cat I noticed that the O2 sensor had what looked like a dent in one side of it. I could have possibly damaged it while I was busting up the cats guts. Would a damaged O2 sensor cause this severe of a bogging down problem? I can't even get the truck up to 2500 rpms.

Reply to
jacktober

Sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem. When was the gas filter changed last?

Professor

Professor

Unhook the exhaust behind your now-defunct converter and see if there is a change for the better. If it is better, your exhaust behind your converter is plugged. This exact same thing happened to my brother-in-law after he poked out his converter on his Dodge truck. Find out why your converter plugged and then you really need to get a working converter back on your truck. Not only will the exhaust be cleaner, your truck's computer was made for it.

Reply to
Kruse

I have not attached the muffler or any pipes past the cat yet. I plan on getting a new cat soon. One thing. My gas mileage is crap. I went from 15 to 7-8 in a week.

Reply to
jacktober

That is next on my list of diagnostics. I bought the truck used with

130k and I've been changing parts left and right. I don't know much about the maintinence history of the truck but I'm suspecting everything i've replaced (plugs, wires, etc.) has been done for the first time.
Reply to
jacktober