Borg-Warner T-10 question

Hi all,

does anyone make a conversion kit to convert the tailshaft of a B-W T-10 (not super) from a slip yoke to a fixed yoke? I am running a T-10 in my '55 Studebaker coupe which originally came with a T-86 with fixed yoke and 2-piece driveshaft. someone cut the center driveshaft support crossmember out of the car before I got it. It was OK with the 289/auto that came with the car but I decided I wanted a different drivetrain, now I have an Avanti R1 engine with T-10 behind it and even with a custom 2-3/4" driveshaft (which really is pushing it in terms of diameter/length) I'm getting some crunching on heavy acceleration and going over speed humps. I do have HD springs but not traction bars. I have a stock uncut crossmember and a complete driveshaft from a '57 Golden Hawk, if I could convert my T-10 to a fixed yoke I could just have a custom front driveshaft section made and everything from the X-member back would be as factory.

Or does anyone have a Studebaker-spec T-85 with overdrive laying around that they want to donate to the cause? Not only do a 4-speed and 3.73 gears do not relaxed highway crusing allow but I already have everything except the shift rods to make that a bolt in.

On the upside, I finally got the darn thing running right and other than a little smoke and the abovementioned issues it's actually driving like a real car. It's about 90 degrees outside and water temp is still about 180-185ish (180 stat in car.) this is on a not yet broken in engine so I am happy. Driver was overheating (no interior in car other than seats, A/C at this point is only a compressor and brackets) car wasn't :)

thanks

nate

Reply to
N8N

Since the front shaft is held captive by the center support wouldn't a slip yoke work just as well as a fixed yoke on the tail of the trans?

Reply to
John Kunkel

Maybe... I know of one guy that did just that and as far as I know he didn't have a problem with it. It just seemed like a fixed yoke was the "right" way to do it.

nate

Reply to
N8N