Borg-Warner trans question

Hi,

I have a '55 Studebaker that has received a transplant of a '63 Studebaker 289 V-8 and Flightomatic transmission - I believe that this is a variation of what is known as a Borg-Warner Model 8, and was also used by Ford and American Motors. What I want to know is if there is anywhere on this transmission where I can get rear pump pressure externally. Reason I ask is that this car was originally equipped with what Studebaker called an "anti-creep" which is essentially a line lock that kept the car from creeping forward at stop lights, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to try to restore this function. Apparently the original DG-250 trans had an electrical switch that opened when there was positive rear pump pressure to keep the anti-creep solenoid from activating when the car was in motion.

I wouldn't mind going back to the "three band" but this car has been cut up enough that I would have to locate not only the trans and torque converter but also the frame crossmember that holds the driveshaft center bearing (it's been retrofitted with a one-piece driveshaft) as well as the driveshaft itself and then I'd have an issue with the starter, as it's already been converted to 12V and the 3-band was only used with 6V cars... basically a more expensive/labor intensive proposition than I'm ready for, considering that the Flightomatic works fine (really would rather have a first gear start and lockup torque converter though...)

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate,

I've read some of your previous posts regarding braking. Could this anti-creep feature have anything to do with the braking problem?

Reply to
Steve Walker

I don't think so, but that was part of the reason I'm asking. I have the new 12V anti-creep valve; I want to get rid of the old, non-functional 6V one and am trying to decide whether to replace it with the new 12V one or just use a straight piece of hard line. (I'm trying to cut down on the amount of damage I'm doing to the environment by bleeding the brakes every weekend )

FWIW I probably put about 150 miles on the car last weekend going by the theory that it's just a matter of the front brakes being more "broken in" than the rears. I was unable to find a place to try a panic stop afterwards but either I'm braking more cautiously than before or else the rear brakes are becoming less aggressive; I only got one rear wheel to briefly lock in that whole time and it was on fairly hard braking on a road with loose gravel on it (near a construction site.)

nate

Reply to
N8N