Brake Light.

Where is the brake light wire connection located on my 1978 Dodge van? I assume I would have to remove the dashboard to disconnect the wire? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Not dashboard. I think brake light wires run to switch activated by depressing brake pedal.

Look at brake pedal and brake pedal linkages and you should find it.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

As a wild guess I'd say the wire goes to a pressure differential switch in the combination valve, located somewhere underneath the master cylinder. I'd follow the lines out of the MC until they ran into a metal block with 4 to 6 lines going to it, then look for a single wire attached to the combination valve. I don't even have info for that year to research how the system works.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

While I had my Dodge van, I never looked to find the brakelight switch. Some cars I have owned used a pressure switch threaded into the master cylinder. Others used mechanical switches connected to the brake pedal linkage up under the dash. Should be dead easy to find in either case.

Reply to
HLS

Brake light "on the dash" or brake light as in "the back of the car" ?!?!

Reply to
twisted

It appears there's some confusion as to which light we're talking about here, as I assumed when you mentioned "dash" that you were talking about the brake warning light in the instrument panel (IP). If that is the case, then the wire *probably* goes to a combination valve as previously described (generic 70's era commonality) while the other end of this wire would be part of one of the harnesses that plugs into the back of the IP. If you mean the the circuit for the brake lights on the back of the van, then the wire goes to a switch on the brake pedal, and no dash removal would be required to access it, unless you can't fit your body under the dash.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Don't forget the emergency brake!

Reply to
twisted

Yup, but honestly I figured he knew that. Not a smart bet to put yer life savings on... :-)

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO