Brake pedal loses tension

When I was pressing down on the brake pedal in my '94 Chevy S10 the brake pedal briefly lost tension and went striaght to the floor with little braking action. Quickly, it regained tension and braking resumed. It has worked fine since.

What would cause this and should I be concerned?

regards Nadeem

Reply to
Nadeem

Get the brakes inspected, a pad may have sheared off.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That usually is a polite warning your brake master cylinder is about to fail. When it fails completely, which could happen 'very' soon, you will have no brake pedal so if you drive it at all make sure your emergency brake works and you know how to use it to stop.

It also could be a sign you have leaked out all the brake fluid so it is worth looking at the level in it or as another poster mentioned a pad could have sheared off. When ever I have had a pad shear off, the pedal dropped like that, but it made a horrendous noise like fingernails on chalkboard on steroids.

Mike

Mike Romain

No, that noise was me.

(Newish VW Golf VR6, I spun it on a roundabout - fortunately without hitting anything)

Reply to
dingbat