Brake Pedal Travel on 97 Escort

Is this normal on a 97 Ford Escort or excessive, and why?

The brake pedal travels 2/3's of the way to the floor. To me this seems excessive. The car brakes have been serviced professionally twice in 6 months, but nothing changes with respect to pedal travel. First serviced by an independent garage, then serviced by a Ford dealer. Neither will say it is normal or excessive. Go figure!

The brakes work fine, if you can just get over that feeling of the pedal travelling nearly to the floor before the brakes are applied. The rear brake self adjusters are okay, I am told. If you pull on the hand brake, engine running, and depress the brake pedal, it still travels the same distance, nearly to the floor.

I have browsed the newsgroups for like problems and found several hits, but no actual explanation or resolution. The postings found did mention some services that were performed in an attempt to correct their brake pedal travel situation, but these turned out to be redundant. A short list follows... - bleeding the brake system - replaced brake shoes and pads - replaced master cylinder

I would like to establish if this is normal or how to correct, if possible. Your comments are appreciated in advance.

Thanks... Wally

Reply to
Wally Chopyk