brake problems honda accord 1995 EX-R

Hi, i have a 1995 accord ex-r

first - my "abs" unit is losing oil + the dash light is on (tried to fill and bleed the separete reservoir, it builds its pressure but light still came on, at that point i let the reservoir run dry)

second - 2 years ago changed front disks+pads (parts from car parts store)

1 years ago (or 24 000 km later) had nasty wabble when braking got mechanic to check... changed front disks only on warrenty (pads were still good) and back disks+pads just old/worn out....so at this point i have new front disks (again) and new back disks+pads !!!

today (or 15 000 km later !!!), front disks are both grooved inside (on piston galiper side) and back disks are rusted and not polished by friction of the pads, when i apply the brake peddle very nice wabble in the steering also, when the hand brake is applied a nice wabble too.

third - i just filled the master cilinder oil brake because the oil was low

questions: Does my failed "abs" affects my braking capacity other than having no "abs" available, could/is the braking ratio, front/back controlled or affected by failed "abs"

Could the "abs" be putting air in the system ? And if the "abs" unit is at fault can i pull a fuse or disconnect it ....instead of replacing it (cost+difficult)

Last not lest ,has i talk with my mechanic about the very short life spam of his brakes, i ask about the quality installed, semi-metallique, he talks about humidity and a car that is idle (not used) will kill your brakes, to this statement my answer was, 2 weeks was the longest time this car was parked, should dealer parts be even considered?

Do i lose oil from the master cilinder throught my "abs" leak ?

thank you in advance, because i know this is quite a story !!

Reply to
Ben"abs"

Sounds like frozen calipers in the back. What sort of pads did you put on the front? As far as the wobble, with a car this old, you should get the whole front suspension checked out. It could be ball joints, disks, bushings, --- anything excessively worn or deteriorated can make it start hoppin' when you hit the brakes.

You really need to find the leaks.

This model ABS only communicates with the main brakes when the ABS engages, otherwise the main brakes are identical to what you would have if you did not have the ABS option (in '95 it was still an option). If there is no fluid in the ABS at all & it is still operational, it could theoretically inject air into the main brakes if it tries to engage. Pull the fuse and/or fix the leak. It is probably not cost effective to actually repair the ABS, as the parts will cost about what that car is currently worth.

The combination of metallic pads & aftermarket disks are probably responsible for the condition of the disks. You will be a lot happier with OEM pads. Good aftermarket disks are OK (I've had good results with Wagner). Cheap ones don't hold up. Based on what you say, this guy does not inspire great confidence. I would look elsewhere for additional diagnoses about what is really wrong.

Depends where the ABS leak is. If it is at the junction with the main brake line, then its possible. Otherwise, probably not & you should be looking at premature wear on the brake pads, especially in the rear as it sounds like the calipers might be frozen.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I think there are two versions of brake pads for the front brakes on this car and they are ALMOST but not quite the same such that if you get the wrong ones they will fit in and seem to work but they will bind...

been there done that..

be sure you have the correct parts for the front pads.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Mark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p15g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

I see no evidence of any "binding" from any Honda-provided brake product.

I DO find evidence (a TSB) of two different kinds of REAR brake pads for this vehicle. One is "low noise", the other is "long life".

Some later models also did have problems with clicking noises from both front and rear. These noises were caused by excessive looseness, not "binding". This problem is not, however, applicable to the OP's Accord.

You know, you Google Groupers really ought to get your acts together. Google damages quotes just as badly as any Microsoft product. I stripped almost all the quoted text on account of its hideous Google-induced deformation.

Reply to
Tegger