Brake question

What is a bleeder line? If one is broken, what effect may it have? I was told several months ago that I have a broken bleeder line on one of my front brakes but I've continued driving the car with no problems. Just curious.

Thanks

There is a bleeder valve, but not a bleeder line, AFAIK. If you pop the tip off the brake bleeder valve, nothing may happen UNTIL you have to work on the brakes, bleed them, etc.

If you had a broken LINE, you likely would have dangerously bad brakes.If it were not for the separate systems (a two part master cylinder), you wouldnt have any at all.

It is very difficult to get a broken bleeder valve out of a caliper, once broken. It is often easier and cheaper just to replace the caliper as a unit. This is not nearly so expensive on most domestic cars as it once was..

Reply to
HLS

"j" wrote in news:Rcv5l.11168$x%. snipped-for-privacy@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:

What kind of car is this? They are not all the same.

Reply to
Tegger
94 chevy corsica

"j" wrote in news:tzz5l.11875$be.4382 @nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

HLS is surely right. I've worked on a Cavalier and a Corsica; all they had was bleed screws on the calipers and drums.

It's common on neglected systems for the bleed screw to seize, then break off when an attempt is made to loosen it. If there's no fluid leak, you can just drive the car as normal.

The item with the broken screw is best replaced entirely when servicing is eventually needed.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for that information. I was curious, and concerned if it was unsafe. The brakes are starting to get spongy so I'll take it in for repair.