Brake System Overhaul?

What I would do would be to fill 'er up, start the motor, and have someone actuate the brake pedal while I had a good look.

The master cylinder on the car really shouldn't be anything, as long as it is easily separated from the booster.

I should mention, do this with the car on jack stands and the wheels off. Then see where there are leaks, except the lines. Visually inspect the lines (engine off, wheels back on, on the ground) for rust and worn spots. DON'T Stick your head under the car on jack stands! (you knew that...)

Rebuilding this system shouldn't be tough, as long as you can get parts! You may need new calipers (if the fluid is seeping past the seals, or the sliders are locked up), rotors, cylinders and drums, pads and shoes. All together, a couple hundred bucks should do, maybe even including the calipers, if you're lucky.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

This question is in regards to my newest project, an old 1980 Honda Civic (I have a weakness for old Hondas). It had been on the road until 2005, after the owner finally parked it when the clutch failed. But as I've begun taking things apart, I realize it's going to need far more than just a clutch. The most serious problem is the brake system - all four brakes, both hydraulic and parking - are totally gone. The rear brake shoes are badly worn, but more worrisome is the fact that the wheel cylinders have leaked and are covered with hardened, congealed brake fluid. I checked the master cylinder and it was empty except for a few drops at the bottom. I haven't looked at the front brakes yet... I'm almost afraid of what I might find. My question though, is just how big a job this is going to be. Other than the obvious replacement of the wheel cylinders and brake shoes, is it necessary to rebuild / replace the master cylinder, or worse yet, replace all of the hydraulic lines? I know how much work is involved in replacing lines, and I'd like to avoid it if at all possible.

Reply to
Chris F.

If the master cylinder went dry I wouldn't trust it. check your brake lines too. A honda that old will probably need a total rebuild done on the brakes. The hardest part about replacing the lines is learing to flare the ends. Buy the 25ft lenghts of line and just run it and bend it as needed. It's easier to bend than the straight lines.

Reply to
CEG

You *NEED* Obama's health care plan...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Ugh!

Back in 1978 I was doing 'odd things' around an autobody shop, masking cars, buffing, running parts, etc.

The shop owner had just finished replacing the rear backlight in a '69 Catalina, a terrifically beutiful car in otherwise magnificent shape, and he said, "Go park it by the wall." on the side of the shop was a 10 foot high 30 foot long concrete wall.

Since I can drive almost as fast in Reverse as I can in Drive, I jumped in, fired it up, put it in reverse and backed out all the way to the wall at 15-20 MPH. As I was nearing the wall, I hit the brakes.

indeed....

I rammed my foot to the floor on the E-brake and stopped about 1" from the wall...

, indeed....

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

and new hoses. old hoses cause all sorts of problems. I'd just buy 'em and be done with it.

replace all the hard lines that look bad, and when you have it all buttoned up, get in the car and just romp on the brake pedal as hard as you can (with the engine running if it's PB) and then see if anything's leaking, seeping etc. If you hear *POP*squissssssssh that's obviously bad. But better to find it in your driveway than on the road.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I had to make about 20 different flares when I replaced the lines on my '89 Civic (at someones recommendation), and as far as I'm concerned if I ever see another flare tool again it will be too soon. I was just finishing up those lines when I discovered I could buy pre-flared brake lines - locally - for about the same price as making my own, so that's what I plan to do from now on. It's far easier and you don't have to worry about any defects in the flares. That's just one of many shortcuts I've learned over the last few months...

Reply to
Chris F.

Reply to
Chris F.

Damn, do you people ever maintain your cars?

Reply to
Bob Jones

Why not? I stick my whole body under the car on jack stands.

Reply to
Bob Jones

um, any car sitting for four years is likely going to need hydraulic brake work. You're supposed to flush the fluid every two, you know - what do you think the odds are that this was done?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Most people don't - after all, they usually replace their cars every 4 - 5 years anyway, so why bother with maintenence. It's worth noting that this car WAS maintained very well for most of it's life - how else could it have been driven for 25 years - but it's apparent that at some point the owner decided to just let it go. Take the rear brakes for example. It was only after scooping out several handfulls of brake dust, that I found the shoes were literally worn to the bare linings underneath. Like I said, people just don't seem to care. But I do, and if I ever get this thing done I intend on keeping it going for as long as I'm around. I hate modern cars and I'd be far happier with this old thing, even if it costs more to maintain.

Reply to
Chris F.

I think we are talking about lot more than just the brake fluid here.

Reply to
Bob Jones

And you need his education plan...

Reply to
Bob Jones

No thanks. I don't need to be any dumber.

All I could see was you under a car on four jack stands. I have seen people do this. You won't see *me* do this.

I have also seen people working on cars under four *scissors* jacks!

Even working with *one* scissors jack is *wrong*.

Yeah, I've been under there on two jack stands. Actually, three. Two jack stands on one side, one jack stand on the other, and the floor jack for good measure.

My Supra weighs 3200 lbs unladen. I want to be able to get into it and

*drive* it when I'm done working on it!

Plus, we're also taking a 1980 car that the jack supports may be weakening on. Japanese steel isn't known to stand up to salt or winters very well. I've seen the supports crumple on cars of this vintage.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I knew you'd see it my way! ;p

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

You are right about not getting dumber part. Maybe all these translates into "DON'T Stick your head under the car on jack stands!" in Japaneses.

Reply to
Bob Jones