Brakes specs on MD Inspection Report-99 Honda Accord

Do these specs indicate that my brakes will need to be replaced soon? How many more miles do you think i'll get with these specs? Any Help is appreciated. Thanks.

Drums/Discs: Left Front .854 inches line .827 inches/Rear right 8.661 inches line 8.700 inches. Pads/Linings: Left Front 8/32 Right Rear 4/32.

Reply to
Per

I assume that "line" actually is "limit" sounds like your rear rotors are too worn to pass, I would get new pads and rotors for the rear. Fronts look OK. Actually your rear pads are probably OK but it would be silly to not get new pads at the same time you get rotors.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N

How did they ever get those specs begin with? Most states don't allow mechanics to pull wheels to inspect brakes during an inspection unless they have evidence they are worn. I would never let them touch my wheels. If anything, I would pull the wheels for them.

Reply to
Julie P.

MD inspections require checking front and rear brakes, I think. Its been awhile... MD is one of those only-one-inspection required states, so they are a royal pain. Same with CT.

NY requires checking linings on 1 front and 1 rear wheel. No minimum depth required, just can't be scraping. If linings are not visible, the wheel gets pulled.

In CT any *suspected* rust (a small bubble) would be attacked with an icepick. Bastards.

-D

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Indeed. They are *required* to pull at least one wheel, front and rear, and to mic the rotors or drums, as appropriate. And yes, it is a royal PITA. It is a rare car that can get through MD inspection on the first shot, if it's more than a couple years old. Of course, since it's a one shot deal, people can drive all sorts of crap, so long as it passed inspection when they bought it...

nate

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
Shep

In Maine, they are not allowed to pull your wheels unless they notice/hear something. They are simply allowed to look at the front wheel brakes with the wheel on. They cannot touch the rear wheel (for drum brakes) at all unless they notice something. The idea is to get cars in and out fast and not go on a fishing expedition. Of course, inspection only cost $10 there when I was there in the late 90's. May have gone up a little since.

Julie

Reply to
Julie P.

Thanks Nate, yes I meant "limit" not"line". The thing is, my car did pass inspection with these specs. I wonder if I have any recourse with the inspection station, which is actually a Honda dealership.

Reply to
Per

notice/hear

Strange that the Maine DMVs web sight shows that brakes are a required part of inspection. No restrictions in there that I saw in terms of how they are inspected.

Steve W.

I took an official State of Maine Vehicle Motor Inspection course in 1999 at a vocational school. Mechanics are not allowed to pull the wheels, unless they hear or see something that would lead them to think there is a problem.

Julie

Reply to
Julie P.

Steve, the above is just the Maine motor vehicle statutes. The official mechanics inspection manual issued by the State Police is about 100 pages long and goes into much further detail about inspection mechanics should and should not do. I'll see if I can dig up my copy later tonight.

Julie

Reply to
Julie P.

The drum reading looks like an inside measurement; the more the wear the higher the reading. The drum still has metal left to wear.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin G

Duh. you're right, I wasn't looking at the numbers. I just ASSumed that a vehicle that new would have 4-wheel discs and was looking for a number larger than the limit.

In that case everything is legal and the only "marginal" part would be the rears but they still probably have a lot of life left in them unless you drive hard.

nate

Reply to
N8N