Brand new front brakes - now have BAD vibration

We have a 2002 Ford Explorer that went in for state inspection last week and they failed it because it needed a new windshield and new front brakes.

I drive the truck all the time and noticed nothing different about the brakes - and apparently Ford doesn't use Squealers on factory brakes (??).....so we had them install the front brakes.

As soon as we got the truck back, there is now a horrible vibration during braking which is SEVERE when going downhill. It will shake the entire front end...the steering wheel and pulse the pedal.

The truck never had this vibration until they installed the brakes. What gives???

Also....I read elsewhere on the net while trying to look for brake information that explained the strange new humming noise I have heard in the last 2 weeks from the rear end....I think we might have a leak in the rear differential....any guidance on that will be appreciated as well.

And another thing....the 4X4 Hi and 4X4 Lo warning lights keep flashing. They will flash 3 times....then off for about 2 minutes or so and will continue as long as the vehicle is turned on. Could this be related to the humming noise?

From the information that I have read on the net so far, the 2002 was

not a very good year for Ford.

Reply to
Deni

Something is out of balance or the rotors are warped. The rotors can be warped by over torquing the lug nuts or they could have come warped out of the box if they are cheap made-in-china parts.

There is also the possibility something wasn't put back together right, but I can't think of anything in that regard that would cause a large vibration.

Anyway... take it back, they need to fix their mistake.

Reply to
Brent P

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:pcydnRMp-6w_l7nbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Does the '02 Explorer still have the sort of discs that have built-in bearing races, like the Aerostar?

Reply to
Tegger

They have screwed up, on one or several points. Take it back and make them fix it.

Reply to
<HLS

We are going to call the mechanic tomorrow to see what they say. I had the feeling that they did something wrong, but was looking for a general concensus on this one before I called raising the flag and throwing my little temper tantrums.

I am not sure about the Aerostar information....but I could probobly look it up if it is significant to my issues?!?!?!?!?!?

Anyone have any ideas about the humming/rear differential/4WD issues?

Reply to
Deni

Unfortunately some shops use an impact gun to hammer the wheel lug nuts on with. This seems to warp the crap out of the newer style rotors, especially if you have aluminum rims.

The wheels these days (especially aluminum rims since the 70's) are supposed to be finished by hand with a torque wrench to prevent this. Even what they call a 'torque' stick can be off when new +/- 15%, let alone when worn out. This can leave each wheel that is 'say' supposed to be 100 ft lb with anywhere from 85 to 115 or 30 ft lb between them and depending on the skill of the 'tech' and wear, way worse.

It really happens too many times for it not to be one of the newest scams they can pull on folks.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > We have a 2002 Ford Explorer that went in for state inspection last
Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes, They almost certainly over- (and unevenly-) torqued the lugnuts. Often this can be remedied by retorquing the lugnuts by hand. If the original shop claims it's unrelated to the work they did and want to charge for new rotors I would go somewhere else.

Reply to
M.Paul

Yes, when we just called, that is the first and only thing they said, was that it was the rotors. He said that with new brakes it will make any vibration more pronounced, but I'm not buying it. It had ZERO vibration before the brakes, and now it is so severe I am afraid to drive it.

I really don't see how that could happen with rotors just from new brakes, the only thing that makes sense is what you all have told me about the lugnuts and/or the brakes being installed incorrectly.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Reply to
Deni

Also, I don't know what type of pads were installed, but that truck came from the factory with Akebono ceramic pads and you need to put ceramic pads back on.

Reply to
jfrancis311

That is one of the points mentioned in the link I posted earlier (Babcox).

I would be so easy, really, to check the discs with a dial indicator and micrometer to be sure they are parallel and planar when you are reinstalling everything after resurfacing.

The article mentions, as do you, the importance of everything being clean, and even checking different index positions around the hub if the measurements dont come out right.

Maybe cutting the discs on the car are the best fix, but I dont believe we have that option in this little town.

Reply to
<HLS