break down..torque converter problem?

Hello everyone,

I have a question I'd like to ask. My dad has a 1994 chevy C-350, which comes with an automatic transmission.

Just a couple of minutes ago, he informed me that his truck will no longer go into gear when shifting the transmission. The truck is making a whining noise, particularly when the transmission is set in neutral. He also told me that the torque converter is spinning when the trans is set in neutral, but I thought it's supposed to do that?

When I drove the truck earlier today, I noticed that when I put it in reverse, there was a kind of loud thud noise immediately after the gear was shifted in reverse. It kind of sounded like the sound of a gear skipping over with some missing teeth. This has been going on for a couple of months, and we assumed that maybe some teeth were breaking off a gear from somewhere under the truck.

Is this likely a torque converter problem, or could this be something else entirely?

thanks

Reply to
aspd watch

The converter always turns. If it's 2 wheel drive, and the driveshaft is not turning, then it's an internal trans problem. If it's 4 wheel drive, it could be the transfer case.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

yes, it's bolted directly to the engine output.

it sounds like it's transmission internal, but does it matter? it's all got to come off for repair/replacement, so you'll find out then.

Reply to
jim beam

Probably somewhere else within the transmission, but likely expensive to fix. Has enyone checked the fluid level recently?

Reply to
John S.

What is a chevy C-350?

Reply to
Steve Austin

It is likely the tranny, but you need to have it diagnosed by a professional. In either case, torque converter or tranny, can you do the work? If not, take it to someone who can.

Autotrans nowadays can be pretty complicated. Dont go there if you dont know what you are doing.

Reply to
hls

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my posting.

My dad told me this morning that whenever he tries to put the transmission into gear (reverse or drive) it makes a really loud noise, a noise which sounds like something is breaking or smashing apart. The transmission no longer shifts into gear.

Sounds like something broke inside of the transmission itself.

thanks again to those who took the time to reply.

Reply to
aspd watch

i assume you mean a C3500 dually or such?

Or a regular pick up with a 350ci engine?

anyway you look at it, it trannie rebuild time or used replacement

It will probably be a 4l60E or 4l80E. if your looking for a used one , do your homework. some models of those are certain year specific on application.

bob

Reply to
bob u

Just got off the phone a few minutes ago with my dad. He told me that he drained the transmission fluid and inspected the pan to look for any broken particles, but he said he didn't find anything. But, as I told him, just because you didn't see any particles in the fluid or in the pan doesn't mean that something (such as a gear) did not break internally in the transmission.

Anyway, he thinks it might possibly be a linkage problem. He wants to either attempt to (re)adjust the linkpage or see if that needs replacement. Is it even possible that the problem I've described with the truck's transmission could possibly be related to a problem with the linkage? I was just curious.....

thanks everyone

Reply to
aspd watch

Something else I'd like to add to this...my dad also told me that whenever he shifts the truck out of park into another gear, the transmission won't actually shift into gear, but it makes a really bad noise like something smashing together, etc when he pushes the stick into another gear out of park. He has no trouble actually moving the shift lever up and down inside the truck (it's not stuck or anything), however.

if the shift linkage were in fact broken or severely damaged, would the truck be making that kind of noise when shifted out of neutral?

thanks

Reply to
aspd watch

I didn't describe that right. From what he described, it sounds like a couple of gears that sound like they are clanging together.

  He has no trouble actually moving the
Reply to
aspd watch

If the linkage were maladjusted or broken, the transmission would be in a different gear than the prindle position would indicate, maybe moving when he moves the prindle and maybe not.

Is there ANY position of the prindle which, with an undamaged transmission, will result in bad noises like things smashing together? I don't think so.

I suspect that your "replace transmission soon" light has come on.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

94 was in
Reply to
Steve Austin

This is not a four wheel drive?

Reply to
Steve Austin

mmm - psychic vehicle diagnostics with "chinese whispers" thrown in - my favorite...

Reply to
jim beam

I just talked to my dad again a while ago about his transmission problem, and he wants me to ask another question on this newsgroup. I do apologize for asking some of these questions; I'm only doing it as a favor to him.

He called me a while ago and said that he discovered what the problem is. He says the problem is that the (I'll describe it in his own words...sigh) gear shaft that's at the back of the transmission is messed up. He said the spindles on it are messed up. In other words, the drive shaft, or the part of the drive shaft, that's at the rear of the transmission and extends out...

What he is wondering is...in order to replace this part of the shaft, is it necessary to completely remove the transmission?

Again, I apologize to people on this group..I'm just asking this question for him as a favor.

Reply to
aspd watch

Years ago. when I took auto tranny school, one of my teachers said that you ALWAYS check the linkage adjustment first (well, after you find out if it has fluid in it). If the linkage is screwed up, you can get into all sorts of crap.. We should not assume that the linkage is just displaced a bit.

Nontheless, if the OP is hearing a lot of clash, this tranny may not be long for the world.

My question is, if he cant diagnose it or fix it, why is he farting with it??

Reply to
hls

I guess because he doesn't have money to fix it. So he's trying to fix it himself.

Reply to
aspd watch

If he is thinking that the output shaft splines are damaged then I would wonder what did them in. They don't just fail for no reason.

If that IS the problem then you will end up dropping the trans, pulling the guts out and replacing the shaft. It is retained in the trans with a snap ring.

1 remove pan, converter and filter 2 remove tailhousing, governor. 3 Remove servo 4 Remove pump with proper puller 5 Remove reverse input drum and input drum as a unit wiggling it past the band gently 6 Remove the forward planetary sun gear 7 Remove snap ring for output shaft and remove the shaft. 8 Reverse for install

IF he does want to DIY then here is a place where you can get a good service manual on the transmission.

Steve W.

Again I ask - is this 4 wheel drive?

Reply to
Steve Austin