Briggs Stratton 5 HP Quantum XM

My mower will not keep running. It runs fine with starting fuel sprayed into carb. I have removed / replaced with new fuel. Removed carb and cleaned all ports with torch tip cleaning rods & carb clean to insure jets are not plugged. Everything is clean. Orderd a carb kit Any ideas?

Reply to
bramerd

Wal Mart stores sell new lawn mowers that have Briggs & Stratton engines for not much over $100.00.Did you clean the spak plug,or put a new spark plug in there? Fuel screen could be plugged up. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Manual or automatic transmission?

Reply to
clifto

Generally speaking the briggs engines with the 'diaphragm pump' (read: fuel tank BELOW the carburetor) will have an issue if the pump-gasket falls apart or the screws holding the carburetor to the tank start to back off. If you are lucky you might get it to stay running by tightening down the screws. If not, you'll probably need to change the gaskets. Be careful when taking it apart, the governor/throttle arm springs and the springs under the pump-gasket must be installed in the same location as before or you may never get it running again.

In the future, you may want to consider a tecumseh engine. A real float carburetor is better than a 'pump gasket' carburetor in my opinion.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Nevermind that 5-horsepower Quantum engines already HAVE float carburetors.... :-)

Reply to
Steve

Oops. My bad ;)

In that case assuming fuel is reaching the carburetor you either have a problem with the float valve(is there fuel in the bowl? If not find out why...) or a plugged up jet/passage.

Chris

Reply to
Hal