British UK carburetors smaller than American, carb newsgroup website

For UK versions of autos, why were carbs smaller?

Also, is there a newsgroup or other place on the web devoted to carb tuning?

I have a 1980 Plymouth Champ, 1400cc with a Mikuni 28-30DIDTA carb. The car still runs.I have rebuilt the carb once, but I am considering buying a new rebuilt carb, while I still can.

The Haynes manual shows that the UK version had a 26-30 carb (smaller bores, thats 26mm and 30mm.) Why would that be? Better fuel economy? Less pollution controls?

I would like to understand carb tuning. What is a good source, either a book or a web site? About such arcane things as adjusting the accelerator pump linkage, the linkage that determines when the secondary comes in, and the idle bypass.

Reply to
bootchk