broken key

I hope this isn't too far off subject. I'm wondering if there is any way to get part of a broken key out of a key hole in my car.

And on that note, does anyone make keys out of something that doesn't break so easily?

Reply to
gregf

Locksmith. I broke a key off once in the trunk lock. A hair just below flush. I said to myself....No way is anyone on earth going to get this out. Locksmith had it out in 7 minutes just by picking.

Reply to
Nicik Name

Make a key extractor.

You need a small piece of spring steel wire OR a thin narrow flat piece (I use the stainless strips from wiper blades). Make a hook on the end of the wire that looks like the barb an the end of a fish hook. You want a tight but sharp hook. Slip the wire over the broken off key and GENTLY pull it out of the slot. With the steel strip you grind the strip into a similar shape and use it the same way.

Take a look at these.

Steve W.

theres your answer. pick it out with a jewlers screwdriver or the like or if you have some precision tools, grab whats left of the key. I f a locksmith took 7 minutes, well, maybe thats the best you can hope for in doing it yourself.

keep your locks lubed properly and they shoudnt break your keys, and replace worn keys.

my ..02 dont know if they make titanium key blanks....

Reply to
ed