Buick Regal transmission misbehaving.

Hello all,

The car in question is a 1992 Buick Regal 4dr with the 3.8l V6 and 144k miles.

The symptoms.

Runs and drives fine, but sometimes when you go to take off from a stop, the car is in neutral. Reving does not seem to help. Pulling the shifter down into low makes it go into gear and the car drives normally.

When it first appeared, I checked and it was low on fluid. Bringing the level up decreased the frequency if occurence but did not eliminate it.

Making a fast stop will make it stick in neutral more often than a gentle stop.

This sounds expensive, is it?

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Erich,

Not necessarily. Sounds more like a hangy governor. Is this the 4T60 or 4T60-E transmission? Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

Loren, Thanks for the reply. I don't know which trans it is.

I guess I will haul the car down to the shop for some diagnostic work.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Just judging from the age and mileage, this one most likely needs 'surgery'.

When did you last have the transmission serviced? Did the mechanic mention anything about the condition of the fluid or about finding metal particles in the pan?

Reply to
Larry Smith