Bushing Extractor Set - How to Use?

I recently bought this bushing extractor/installer set on Ebay:

Perhaps it's just my inexperience, but I can't for the life of me figure out how this is supposed to work. I bought this with the hope that I wouldn't need any additional equipment (such as a hydraulic press), but I don't see how these tools alone can remove or install a bushing. Can someone please fill me in?

Reply to
Chris F.

just use a hammer - that's how it's supposed to be used. the metal rings are just so that you have something to drive the bushing with, as opposed to trying to find a socket about the right size that'll inevitably slip off and ruin the bushing.

If you need to extract a bushing from a blind hole, I don't think that set will help you.

nate

Reply to
N8N

This isn't going to do me a bit of good. The old bushings are glued in place, and no amount of hammering is going to force them out. I'll have to try a two-jaw puller, or just take them to someone with a hydraulic press.

just use a hammer - that's how it's supposed to be used. the metal rings are just so that you have something to drive the bushing with, as opposed to trying to find a socket about the right size that'll inevitably slip off and ruin the bushing.

If you need to extract a bushing from a blind hole, I don't think that set will help you.

nate

Reply to
Chris F.

A set of extractor rings and a vise will let you do the same sort of thing an arbor press does. Put a big ring on one side, a small one on the other, and compress until the bushing comes out into the big ring, pushed by the small one.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

just use a hammer - that's how it's supposed to be used. the metal rings are just so that you have something to drive the bushing with, as opposed to trying to find a socket about the right size that'll inevitably slip off and ruin the bushing.

If you need to extract a bushing from a blind hole, I don't think that set will help you.

nate

For a bushing in a blind hole, (such as a pilot bushing in a flywheel), I've packed the back side full of grease. No voids, get all the air out. Then find a punch or round piece of steel rod that fits the bushing hole very closely. Get over to one side and smack the rod hard with a hammer and the bushing will pop out. Just make sure you dodge the inevitable grease leakage around the rod.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Ebay:

I'll second nate, that set is for driving with a hammer. For suspension bushings it's probably not going to work so well pounding with a hammer.

For extracting the cheap bushings that came in the leaf springs I bought and putting in the better ones I used a combination of sockets, disks from my seal driver (much like those in the link) and two jaw puller to push the bushings out and the other ones in. I used the puller rather than a vice because the puller's jaws could grasp the spring without blocking the path of the bushing on its way out.

Reply to
Brent