Buying your tools at sears?

Only a couple...;-) My new toy doesn't cause this problem. I HEARTILY recommend it for anyone who wrenches on rusty stuff

I have an inductor 2 now with all the coils. Works a treat on the stuck crap. Also make bearings and such a piece of cake.

Reply to
Steve W.

yeah. smog's never really been that much of a problem here in norcal tho because we usually have plenty of sea breeze to take it all away - it's socal that's the issue. but of course, a regional solution wouldn't be such a business opportunity.

you can smell detroit's stink-finger deep in the legislators when they moved the smog goal posts. and not content with just "encouraging" all older cars off the road with bullshit smog law changes, they'll even pay up to $1,000 if you'll voluntarily "retire" an older vehicle, *even if it's passed smog*!!!

if that's not [yet another] blatant taxpayer funded "throw" for detroit, i don't know what is.

Reply to
jim beam

yup. and some of them will stick to your cornea requiring a trip to the emergency room and an opthalmic scrape...

impact drivers have made a significant difference to this game. i don't exactly understand why, but impacts will remove stuff normal wrenching will just shear off. great tools.

Reply to
jim beam

THe caked on grease protects stuff from the road salt!

Reply to
Brent

The sand and gravel is to damage the paint so the salt can do its work easier.

Reply to
Brent

Yep. And it's not just the exhaust the rust can fall from. All sorts of sources of rust flakes under a Chicago car.

I see those car TV programs made in places like CA and TX and such... they are agast at the most minor rust. Too bad someone can't show them what real rust looks like.

Reply to
Brent

hey, sssh, you're not supposed to let the cat out of the bag like that!

Reply to
jim beam

WOW!! I gotta get me one of those! A little pricey (Amazon sells with coil kit for $477) but sure looks worth it.

Reply to
Roger Blake

No competent inspector assessing quality control in a manufacturing environment would begin to consider the sole, single (no less) linear measurement across opposing flat surfaces of a wrench (not to mention material, heat treatment and finish standards) to constitute an adequate assessment of the production process.

To inquire of an "engineer" whether he did, or to suggest that he may not have, actively determined if a fastener head incurred any damage from the application of a tool, would be an insult only to the most pretentious of poseurs.

As I don't relish continually repeating myself, I've nothing more to contribute on the subject than to say as any self- respecting, true professional tradesman is more than well aware, the purchase and use of cheap, poor quality tools is at best nothing more than a false economy (in the manner of the reuse of most gasket types), and their incorporation in performing tasks is well recognized as a sure sign of a hack.

Reply to
Gene

Much in the same way a natural gas explosion finally can purge the kids' and their bedrooms of their junk from the house?

By the way, Nate, should you not have heard, Cox discontinued support of members pages not hours, not days, not weeks, not even simply months, but in fact over a year ago

Gene

yup, if you'll use it, it is indeed an excellent idea.

Reply to
jim beam

I love mine. No open flame, no hoses or torch issues. VERY localized heating. No mess to deal with. VERY portable as well.

As an added bonus if you have a stainless coffee mug you can wrap the coil around it and heat your coffee so hot you can't drink it!

Reply to
Steve W.

Can you do quick and dirty re-hardening and annealling work on the bench with it?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Dam cox took the free TV guide off also here. Now you HAVE to pay to rent a cable box just to get the program guide.

bob

Reply to
bob urz

My 98 Taurus was a Chicago car before it got it. It had more strange things wore out than any car i have seen in recent history.

I had the brake lines rust out below the drivers door. Muffler rusted a hole. steering rack broke trunk lid would not stay up.

1/2 dash lights out rear calipers stuck or stripped. struts trashed from broken springs. broke off sway bar link multiple CV shafts

Its kind of like that WW2 aircraft carrier that sailed back into port after a kamikaze hit

Reply to
bob urz

I don't know precisely where you're located, but try this:

Note the listing of areas in the drop down menu to the right of the zip code 68114 on that page, or give them a call and they may direct you to a page appropriate for your area.

Reply to
Gene

You made a very important statement there "any self-respecting, true professional tradesman"

Most of the people on this group are probably wrenching there own cars and don't work for a shop. If you understand the concept of "duty cycle", its low in DIY applications.

If i worked my primary job as a mechanic at a dealer or such, sure i would spend more money on higher level tools that i might use EVERY DAY (that's where the duty cycle comes in).

When i work on my car at home or such, the duty cycle is a fraction of what one would do as a professional mechanic. SO who needs to spend more money on tools that spend a majority of there life standing by?

I would love high end tools, but i would rather spend my limited funds buying food and paying monthly expenses. Not false economy, but smart thinking. Your not a hack buying cheaper tools to fix your own car. Just a guy trying to survive a weak economy

Any tools can fail. including Snap on or SK. Who here has not returned at least one craftsman tool for replacement if they had any? Any Pro wrenches here NEVER had a SK or snap on fail?

Anybody that buys harbor usually games the system anyway by buying when the tool is on sale, or using the 20% off coupons they issue. And they know what ultra cheap stuff to stay away from

I had one harbor flex ratchet fail this year after it took a 6' drop off a ladder. I also took a 3/8" drive craftsman back to sear when it would no longer lock.

Reply to
bob urz

Exactly. When I did cars for a living, it was all Snap-On, etc. I feel no guilt now buying cheap stuff from HF because it's the only thing that makes sense. I already have all my car tools, but when I need a sander or something else for small projects around the house, I know it's going to get a few hours of use in the next 10 years. I don't need durabililty, and there's no reason to pay for it. On the rare occasion that I do need a car tool, it's the same thing - I'll probably use it once. I mentioned a friend who is still a dealer mechanic - and an exceptional one - and he has mentioned no problems whatsoever from using HF tools.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

That sounds pretty normal to me, in Pittsburgh. We got hills, and we got salt. Last winter pretty mild though.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

someone who doesn't want to get injured by a breakage. this is particularly so in that pros are trained in safe work practices. diy-ers typically are not.

if you have no money, you have to do what you have to do. but if you have /some/ money, "trying to save money" on car repairs can often end up costing more if there is damage to component from a crappy tool. i'd rather forgo a few beers and turn the heating down than screw up a car repair, especially if i only have one car.

besides, i can't think of a single tool i've bought just for one job, that's not been re-used. once you have that tool, it invariably gets multiple uses because now you can do something you couldn't do before.

but they fail much less readily - that is the whole point. that's what you get for your money.

technically, that last is more likely wear, not failure.

Reply to
jim beam