Cadillac runaway acceleration

Those window regulators had a plastic gear, with a plastic "tape" that ran in a channel. You could replace the tape and gear, but I don't know if that stuff is available anymore. Relatively easy job.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

I think at this point we have to decide whether we want to drive without AC or not. It was one of the best things about this car.

I 've already sunk too much money into it, and it still needs more. The knackers are looking better and better...

Reply to
The Real Bev

Do it! Press the bushings out... if you don't have an arbor press, you can put a drill bit into your drill press upside-down and use the rear of the bit to press the thing out. Take them to a motor shop and see if they can match them.

If the originals are just pot metal bushings that are part of the casting (which would be something horrible only GM would do), then measure the diameter of the shaft and go to a motor shop and see if they can find something to fit... then drill out the casting to press them in.

If you have to machine bushings, don't try and ream the center. Scraping the oilite will seal up the pores in the metal which are holding oil in. Use a drill bit on the lathe to do the center, and use a newly sharpened drill bit and run slow and cool.

And yes... the car WILL break something else soon. A lot of engineering on the part of GM has gone into making sure that everything in the car will fall apart at the same time. My statics professor in college had worked for GM and thought this was such a wonderful and ingenious practice. I was (and remain) kind of horrified by it.

There is a reason why the US car industry lost badly to the Japanese in the seventies and eighties.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Everything has a design life. The Japanese automakers also practiced having everything on the car last the design life as well. It's acceptable provided the design life is long enough. At GM back then it was probably something stupid short.

Reply to
Brent

Cars are nothing but buckets of nuts and bolts.

Reply to
JR