Cam Sensor_code reset?

89 Buick Electra Park Ave. 78K Gentle miles. 3800. Excellent shape.]

Pull out of driveway and up steep hill... service soon light comes on. Stop at reputable garage where they scan.

Tech says scanner shows Camshaft Sensor current and in history. I hit Advanced on the way home tonight and pick one up. It was hard to get in as the thing is behind the water pump pulley and getting a good leverage is not possible, so I put just a little oil on the o-ring and rotate it just a bit as I push and it goes in.

I removed the negative terminal on the battery for about a minute or so to clear the code but when I start it, the light is still on. I tried unplugging the sensor and disconnecting the battery again, reconnecting all again, and still no joy.

Does the battery deal clear the code on these?

What else could give that code and how likely would it be?

I will not likely be able to drop in on that garage without appointment and intended, uncharacteristically, on putting a lot of miles on it over the weekend. Do I risk further damage or breakdown in the middle of nowhere if I do?

Thanks!

Reply to
rdoc

The code sets when the pcm gets bad cam ref signal from icm. You could have problem with icm, pcm, wiring, bad terminal connections, etc.

Reply to
Steve Austin

It was probably the magnet on the camshaft pulley in the first place, not the sensor. This is a common problem with those engines. My Reatta has that code and I just drive it anyway. (When the darn thing will start, due to the security system)

Reply to
hls

"hls" wrote in news:QcKdnWugHLqTmHHWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I bet it's no where *near* as bad as Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear had:

For those not up on british english, an "estate" is another word for station wagon.

Reply to
chuckcar