camaro 5spd info needed

I was going to take my 700r4 (shit) tranny out and put a 5 spd in her, but there isn't one to be found. I asked my buddy and he is pretty sure I can use the v6 tranny. Is this true ?. I really wanna 5 spd to power it as the 700r4 is about as reliable as bill gates windows ME. thanx

Reply to
Chevrolet

take your piece of shit car and burn it cockroach!!!!!!!! and bill gates has billions and you dont.

Reply to
tudysmuck

Reply to
Chevrolet

Your failed premise is that it takes design and rebuild experience in order to execute a tranny change. You also failed to address, or even acknowledge, the original poster's reasons for disliking his 700R4. I know several people who have had nothing but bad luck with the 700R4 in terms of reliability. One person ditched their GM and went import because he was tired of dealing with it. Another did a TH-350 swap and has had no tranny problems since. I would hazard that the OP has had a similar experience as several of my friends. It doesn't take "transmission expertise" to arrive at this conclusion, just plain old ownership experience.

I have zero "transmission expertise" yet I can change the tranny out on my '81 Camaro in less than two hours with no lift and no power tools. On the other hand, if I wanted to do a tranny swap to one of the more modern 5spds it would require much more work, but still I bet I can do it without having rebuilt a tranny before.

Of course, I know you were just trolling....

LOL!

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Lets see, Converting from Automatic to stick.

Correct transmission for vehicle. Install pilot bearing/bushing in crankshaft Purchase the correct flywheel and clutch assembly. Probably need a new driveshaft since it is different length. Probably new rear gearset as well since it is different than a stickshift usually. Different exhaust system. Different engine computer. The clutch pedal and hydraulic master cylinder. Alter the tunnel to fit a shifter.

Plus bolts and band-aides

Or just buy a well built 700R4 and not worry about it. The 700R4 isn't a bad transmission with some minor work.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yeah, yeah, we all know about the 700R4's poor record. But the point is that there are well-documented ways to build a RELIABLE 700R4 with aftermarket parts, rather than cobble together a goofy v6 5-speed swap.

Hell, lots of GM muscle car enthusiasts use built-up 700R4s behind big-blocks in heavy old Chevelles and the like. Its a problem with a well-known solution.

Reply to
Steve

I don't think the OP has the technical expertise to rebuild and modify his stock tranny, and I know from experience that swapping a trans can be much easier than opening one up to a person who has no internal tranny knowledge or experience.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan