Camshaft Position Sensor code -- 98 Lumina

Sorry for cross-posting, not sure the best place to post this type of repair question. Sorry for such a long post, just want to give as much info as possible.

I have an intermittant P0341 camshaft position sensor code on my 98 Lumina w/ 3.1L engine and about 133,000 miles. I have questions about: Is camshaft position sensor and/or its wiring really the problem? Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement Potential harm in letting the problem go

Is camshaft position sensor and/or its wiring really the problem? Wondering if the camshaft position sensor, since my repair manual indicates the ignition coil and other electrical problems could be causing the code. Here are my observations: As I said the problem is intermitant and I never have any problem starting the car (which its my understanding a bad camshaft position sensor can cause). I replaced the battery about 6 to 9 months ago. To my recollection I decided to replace the battery after it would not hold enough charge to crank the engine, and not because unsuccessful cranking drained the battery. The car does seem to run just a little rough, and there seems to be a (non-intermittant) weird buzzing coming from the drivers side engine compartment at WOT, which I can only attribute to the intake or exhaust manifold. The engine may not be running at full power at WOT on occasion which I think may be due to the non-synched fuel injection when the ECM overrides and ignores the cam pos sensor. Should I just replace the sensor? Is there anything else I should try first?

Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement I have the factory service manual (first edition). It indicates removing the serpentine belt. From examining the location of the Cam Pos Sensor, it appears nearly impossible to access and that removing the belt won't make it any easier. Any tips on how to access and replace it?

What happens if I let it go? I ask this because it may take me a few months to successfully diagnose the problem if its not the cam position sensor. I realize that I will suffer poor fuel economy when the engine is not running in true SFI, will there be any other negatives such as reduced engine or component life?

Thank you in advance for any replies! I really appreciate it.

Reply to
Andrew Sasak

I have a 97 GA 3.1 with about 128k miles. My light was coming on with the same code at around 120k miles. I got tired of looking at the light and took it to an independent shop. They replaced the camshaft sensor which fixed it. It seems the old sensor wires were frayed pretty badly right at the sensor. It may be a common problem not sure.

Reply to
Ralph Cramden

No idea, but it's a likely possability since that what the code means.

Proper operation of that sensor is critical to engine function.

Same answer as when asked above.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I just wanted to follow up to my post from a few months back. (Camshaft Position Sensor code -- 98 Lumina)

I found replacing the sensor to be quite easy and it did solve the problem.

The reas> Sorry for cross-posting, not sure the best place to post this type of

Reply to
TheClassic

"TheClassic" wrote: (98 Lumina Camshaft Position Sensor)

......to follow up, replacing the sensor was quite easy and it solved the problem. I found why the serpentine belt had to be removed - it was for access to the water pump. The factory service manual forgot to mention that the water pump had to be removed. I realized that when I read that it had to be reinstalled after putting in the new sensor. _________________________________________________

Congratulations on your successful diagnosis and repair.

And thanks for taking the time to give the feedback.

Best regards,

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan