Can a brake rotor be out of balance?

Trying to diagnose a steering wheel shimmy with a 95 Integra. Of course, no local repair shop can be bothered, so Im stuck doing it myself.

Can a rotor be out of balance, like a tire?

The car was FINE, until local shop pulled the wheels to do a tuneup/inspection as part of normal service. Now Ive got this shimmy at 65MPH and up.

Balance is fine. And was checked with a Hunter 9700 Road Force Variance machine. CV Joints were rebuilt recently. They were fine, too. All bushings in good shape...so is the alignment. Tire inflation checks out.

So....Im wondering if it could be the rotors. Can a rotor be out of balance, like a tire? They are warped pretty good, but again, until the wheels were pulled off the car last week, all was well. Also, could something be loose up in there in the rotor assembly or "stuck" like a caliper bolt thats screwing with things?

At the end of the rope......

Reply to
RkFast, the Flake slayer

Yes. due to warpage. But it would cause a plusing feel to the brakes. Older cars, probably only with drums though had balance weights welded on, and if these fell off it would create a pulsing feel.

Hmm.... could be that the rotors were warped by over torquing the lugs with an impact wrench.

Reply to
Brent P

Not enough to ever be noticeable. The radius at which the mass acts is too small to generate significant out of balance forces.

Try swapping the tyres from side to side. Otherwise it sounds like a wheel balance, bent rim, faulty tyre carcass or wheel bearing problem.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Cept while braking. With a front drum I was puting the wheel back on and sliped puting the wheel on and it knocked a balance weight off the drum. Car drove fine until I started braking and then the vibrations, in both the pedal and wheel began. I replaced the drum and the problem went away. The problem wasn't there before knocking the balance weight off.

Reply to
Brent P

|Trying to diagnose a steering wheel shimmy with a 95 Integra. Of |course, no local repair shop can be bothered, so Im stuck doing it |myself. | |Can a rotor be out of balance, like a tire? | |The car was FINE, until local shop pulled the wheels to do a |tuneup/inspection as part of normal service. Now Ive got this shimmy |at 65MPH and up. | |Balance is fine. And was checked with a Hunter 9700 Road Force |Variance machine. CV Joints were rebuilt recently. They were fine, |too. All bushings in good shape...so is the alignment. Tire inflation |checks out. | |So....Im wondering if it could be the rotors. Can a rotor be out of |balance, like a tire? They are warped pretty good, but again, until |the wheels were pulled off the car last week, all was well. Also, |could something be loose up in there in the rotor assembly or "stuck" |like a caliper bolt thats screwing with things?

Occasionally you see a replacment rotor that is imbalanced from the factory, usually due to core shift making the casting thicker on one side. It is very rare for one of these to make it out of the factory. As for OE rotors becoming imbalanced while in service, can't happen unless it picks up foreighn material somehow - Mud or dirt-dobber nest in the vanes, or a bolt jammed in there. Rotors are inherently balanced. The above is true for vented rotors only, which your Integra should have. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Just took the car out and went up to 80 MPH and applied the brakes. Steering wheel shakes VIOLENTLY AND I get knocking noise out of front end in synch with the shaking.

Worse, I got the same noise coming off the highway on the ramp at about 40 MHP, while on the brakes and bleeding speed.

Something is loose......

Reply to
RkFast, the Flake slayer

Check the wheel lug nuts!

Mike

"RkFast, the Flake slayer" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If it ONLY does it to an extreme while braking, try the same slowing down, not instantly & hard braking, just once at average, once less than avg., and once harder than avg. from ONLY about 40 mph. If you feel same shake/pulse, only to a lesser degree, have your rotors turned & ills should be cured. Sounds like out-of-round rotors. The tail wags the dog with this condition!!! HTH & good luck. s.

Reply to
sdlomi

Maybe not. Warped rotors can cause all this by themselves. Get new rotors. Don't let anyone near your lug nuts with an impact gun. Improper torque is probably what caused your troubles in the first place.

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

Hi I sort of had the same problem as you, Drove me nuts. Had my wheels balanced, Checked the rotors.Landed up buying new tires no more shimmy. bob

Reply to
Bob

Don't know if they can be out of balance (doubt it, ..at least not enough to make a difference), but I changed just the pads on my Chrysler hoping I could get away with the existing rotor which did not look that bad. Wrong. I had a wheel shimmy at 55+. Put new rotors on it and the problem went away. Further closer inspection of the backside of the old rotor did reveal pitting and overall condition that probably justified it's replacement. M.B.

Reply to
M.Burns

The symptoms sound the same as a worn front shock - have you checked? Jack the front of the car up and run your finger all round the shock and see if there is any oil leak.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Burley

Sure sounds like a cracked rotor to me. Look them over carefully again, especially the inside. When the pads hit that crack, you can feel it and hear it.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B