Can a Mazda 3 pull a light utility trailer?

I'm tired of renting a truck to occasionally move furniture or lumber and other items that are too big to fit in my car.

I don't want to buy a truck that I'd only use once every month or so. I'd like to buy a small utility trailer and get a hidden hitch for my Mazda 3. But would this shorten the life of the car?

Again I wouldn't be hauling a ton of bricks or anything. A couple pieces of furniture or a few sheets of plywood or drywall from the hardware store once a month or so.

Any thoughts?

Here are some of the specs on the car.

Engine Type-L3X 2.3L DOHC

16-valve 4-cylinder with VVT and balance shafts (2)

Horsepower

160 @ 6500 rpm (PZEV = 153 @ 6500 rpm)

Torque

150 @ 4500 rpm (PZEV = 149 @ 4500 rpm)

Automatic transmission

Reply to
engwar

I would say, that with what you expect to haul, you'd be okay. Just expect slow easy acceleration, don't put the trans. in OD [presuming you have that] until you reach cruising speed. And, be ready to shift down if you find yourself going up a grade in the road.

I did a very similar thing with a Mercury Lynx [essentially a Ford Escort] with a 1.6. Never had any problems, but as stated above, I took my time with the extra load.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03