Can a reconditioned bumper pass as New?

I was just rear-ended in my 2006 model - near new Civic. The impact was hard enough to slightly warp the trunk, but the most notably the driver was a 90 year old man who stepped on the gas instead of the break after hitting my car and further sandwitched my car between his and three other stopped cars infront for a good 5 to

10 yards.

The repair shop is suggesting a bumper reconditioning instead of replacing the bumper. Can a reconditioned bumper be as good as the brand new bumper? Or can the bumper loose effectiveness, as small as it may be - given it has been thru an

10-20 mph to 0 impact?

Thanks, Ben

Reply to
curious314159

Bumper cover? The bumper cover is just cosmetic. If it isn't torn or otherwise messed up it will be fine if hasn't been repainted before. Last time my rear bumper was hit, the paint was cracked badly because it had been repainted before. The body shop decided to replace it because it would take as much in labor costs to strip it down and get it right as it would to just start from a new part.

The actual bumper is under the cover, it's a hunk of steel. If they are getting a used part, it will be fine. It's just a piece of formed steel.

Reply to
Brent P