Can an EGR valve affect the heater?

The heater on my 1994 Corsica with V-6 engine has not put out more than lukewarm heat for the past couple years in the winter. I have kept the car in immaculate condition including keeping the coolant changed regularly. I have flushed the radiator and heater core, tried a couple different brands of 195 degree thermostats, etc. and nothing worked. I recently learned that my EGR valve is bad and a friend told me that the EGR valve may be the reason why I cannot get good heat in the winter. This doesn't sound right to me. Can it be true? Also, I noticed that where the upper radiator hose goes from the engine (where the thermostat is) to the radiator, there is a thin metal pipe with a thin hose hooked to it running from the upper hose to the coolant reservoir that allows coolant to go from the upper radiator hose to the reservoir. Please tell me why the pipe is there. Thank you.

The ERG only redirects exhaust gasses into the intake stream to lower emmisions. It would not effect your heater. The heater problem is probably due to the blending door being jammed or not fully opening.

Reply to
AudioGuy93DelSol