Can I buy these?

When I junked my old car two weeks ago, I forgot to remove two parts when I removed the hitch.

The guy I sold the car to was going to part it and then sell it to the crusher, and he probably still has the car and the parts, but if I can just buy them, it would be easier.

They are the same: two quite thick washers, rectangular, almost 2" by 3/4", with a square hole in the middle, to accept the square shank of a large carriage bolt that holds the hitch to the bumper. The head of the bolt goes where it would be impossible to get a wrench.

What do I call such a thing if I'm trying to buy a couple, and do you think they are sold separately?

Thanks a lot.

(This is a class I hitch, attached to the car in four places. I have the hitch and 3 drawbars, and would like to be able to give or sell a complete hitch..)

Reply to
micky

Call a place that installs hitches. Uhaul comes to mind.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

On 8/24/2011 11:40 AM, micky wrote: ...

Undoubtedly they were punched specifically for the size of (I presume) tube; it'll be unlikely you'll find them as a separate part unless the hitch vendor can supply them. If that is so, you'll probably think it's better to go retrieve them than pay the asking price I'd expect... :)

Of course, making one isn't any problem for any machine shop w/ a punch or a guy at home who's fairly adept w/ a torch (or, better yet, here's the excuse you've been waiting for for that plasma cutter :) ). Or, drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless work...

Oh, other thought...you likely can find a round washer w/ the hole for the carriage bolt (or a plow bolt) and then just grind two flats down to get the width on the outside.

If you're not going to reuse the hitch, I'd probably just let the new owner deal with it...

Reply to
dpb

Check with a trailer supply or hitch installer. I bet they have them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Kind of like these? 2" x 1" x 7/32" with a 9/16" square hole? These are left over from a Reese multi-fit Class 3 receiver hitch, model 37042

SRN

Yes! Exactly like those!!

Reply to
micky

Most DIY'ers don't have the punch...

Reply to
dpb

Square holes? I have a drill bit which can drill square holes,,, in wood. cuhulin

Reply to
J R

On 8/25/2011 9:31 AM, Smitty Two wrote: ...

Doesn't mean anything to me....

Reply to
dpb

I can't. I'm too busy mixing spotted paint...

Reply to
Hachiroku

With that right-handed paint stirrer ??

Reply to
bugalugs

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Honestly, a friend of mine DID make a spotted paint. It held together during storage, and sprayed or brushed on. He thought he would make a bunch of money on it but never did.

Reply to
hls

Go ahead, guys...burst my bubble...

Hachiroku

Were the spots round?

Reply to
micky

Auto trunk interiors have been or were painted with it for years. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

fyi, when you post links like that, anything after the "?" can be deleted. works just fine and doesn't contain the encrypted tracer that connects back to any browsing habits database of you and your now linked "associates" who also clicked it.

Reply to
jim beam

find someone who knows a cutting torch and whip a couple out in 5 min.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Not...

Reply to
dpb

What? Nobody makes plaid paint?

(tip of the hat to the old Warner Brothers (I think) cartoon from the

40s, where they had a pseudo-science teacher going over the special abilities of various animals. they showed a chameleon happily changing to match various backgrounds, and then they shoved a swatch of plaid behind him, and he lost it. more hilarious to see than read about.)
Reply to
aemeijers