Can I remove/disable a gear shift interlock solenoid?

I'm having a problem with my vehicle where the gear shift (automatic transmission) will not move out of park unless I hold down the manual shift lock release mechanism. Searching on the web this seems to be an issue across all makes. For the record mine is a 2004 Suzuki Forenza with less than 25k miles. When I took it to the dealer, they told me that it was not covered by my powertrain warranty and that it would cost $370 for the part. With labor, who knows.

This is not something I can easily afford and it seems like a lot for something that I can work around. So I was wondering if it is possible to just have this part removed or otherwise disabled so that it simply stops locking the gear shift entirely. Or is it required for overall function?

Reply to
yaugin

I'm sure you can have it "removed/disabled" but you won't find a shop that will do it because of the liability.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

yaugin wrote in news:922d911b-8703-447e-89d7- snipped-for-privacy@o9g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

What's the actual interface? A key slot? A button?

Nope. It just makes sure you had your foot on the brake before shifting out of park so you'll be less likely to flatten your children by accident and sue the automaker on purpose.

Reply to
Tegger

Try calling a shop specializing in setting up cars for the handicaped. You clearly qualify.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

It is a key slot.

Reply to
yaugin

yaugin wrote in news:4141868f-1979-44ef-9410- snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Then go to the hardware store and get a regular key blank that matches your ignition key. Stick it in the slot and leave it there.

You can cut most of the new key's head off to make it less intrusive.

Reply to
Tegger