Can't-Budge-Alternator Rant

I'd like to save some cash by installing myself the three engine belts I already bought. But here's the thing... After finally figuring out how to release the A/C idler pulley (d-Oh!) and getting *that* one off, the alternator doesn't wanna budge along its slotted track. I loosened the ..uh.. transverse bolt that locks the adjuster, loosened the alternator's bottom bolt so it can pivot back, then loosened the very long bolt (in the same plane as the slotted mount, eh?).

I expected it to be easy, but there's no movement. There ain't no space in there and no place to apply leverage w/o breaking things, either.

How do I make this object behave? I haven't even touched the water pump belt yet; no telling how much anti-fun *that's* gonna be. The job has been long, hot, and dirty. If I have no luck tomorrow morning, I guess I'll re-assemble everything....CAREfully...and take it to a real mechanic.

But all I want is to change my own belts. That would be nice. Oh, and BTW, the 16 year old belts didn't look that bad !

Please help, Jm

1993 Sentra XE 56,000 miles (really) GA16DE engine
Reply to
DemoDisk

Check the back of the alternator for a brace. If no brace and you're SURE you have the bolts loose whack the case with a rubber mallet to break it free.

Reply to
Steve W.

I don't doubt what you're describing, but for some reason both of my info sources show there only being two belts on the 1993 Sentra XE 1.6 with A/C. I show the alternator and A/C compressor sharing a belt. Although the alternator is the point of adjustment, I show no A/C idler pulley as you describe.

If the alternator really does have a jack screw arrangement as you describe, then instead of prying (limited room), locate a spot on a strong metal portion of the alternator housing that would move it toward the loose direction if struck, then line up a wood dowel or brass drift and hit it with a hammer a few times. Even if it's really tight, that will move it and the jack screw will pull it back up when installing a new belt.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

That's the issue I met when trying to buy the new belts. Several places, OL and in the phone book, listed 2 belts, or "serpentine." I got the 3 NAPA (Gates) belts for $54.95 all told, but who knows if they'll fit.

I'll try it, MDT. Thanks.

Reply to
DemoDisk

The daylight was going as I was trying this, so I'll find my mallet and give it another careful look. Thanks.

Reply to
DemoDisk