Can You Repair a "Plastic Radiator"?

A search was disappointing. The radiator is on a '97 Cadillac. Small crack. Any suggestions? Is replacing the tank the only option?

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo

I repaired a small crack in the plastic rad in my daughter's Mazda with JB Weld. Somewhat to my surprise it lasted until I finally replaced the rad over a year later (didn't want to push my/her luck). I cleaned the area with brake cleaner and roughed it up first and did it while the rad was warm...cap off so no pressure in it & fluid level below the crack. Give it a try...what do you have to lose?

Reply to
M.M.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D answers to your questions, as they were worded........

1) Topic Question: Yes

2) Suggestions: Replace the radiator.

3) Replaceing the tank, only option: No. (see answer no. 2)

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crownroyal......takes a toke......and wonders........ if he should request a "Financial Limitation of Repairs" postin~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Some of the radiator shops in the yellow pages say they can repair plastic tanks. Ive never had to resort to this and dont know how well they do.

Reply to
<HLS

Nehmo wrote in news:1177147367.811021.56870 @y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

the majors (napa, pecker boys, auto shack) all sell a product recommended for tank repair....rarely do they work for long.......dealer and aftermarket sell many end tanks. call around or buy a new radiator would be my only advise................kjun (btw; summer is a comin')

Reply to
Kjun

A friend of mine cracked her dad's car's metal radiator and fixed it with JB Weld (a commonly found epoxy). I swear by this shit, and know of people who've done unbelivable things with it. e.g.: A transmissions mechanic who made a divot on a valve body while taking off the transmission pan. He figured there was no way he could repair something like that with a MIG welder (and he was probably right), so he JB Welded it.... They now make a variation of the product that even works on wet leaks (I haven't tried it yet; but the original version of the product is solid. I've even used it to affix rearview mirrors, which lesser epoxies have failed miserably at). Since it's less than $10 bucks a pop, I would say it's at least worth a try.

Reply to
MiltRuiz506

radiator shops have special apoxy to fix it. there is one a block away i hang out there 1 time a week. my cousin works there and that 2 part apoxy they ordered they use alot. and i have had several fixed and they are still runnig wit them now. couple of yrs l8ter

Reply to
400sbc_guy

Plastic radiator tanks are made of fiberglass-reinforced nylon, a material that can't be glued well with anything. The best solution, next to replacement of the plastic tank, is to melt the crack with a soldering iron and fill it with glass-reinforced nylon repair rod, which is sold by radiator supplies and GM dealerships. Do not use just any nylon since some types don't stick well to one another.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Considering everyone's advice, including the advice of a friend who works at a body shop (Nathan of Ron's Custom: "No shop in town will repair a plastic radiator"), I bought a new radiator. It was $173 total from Orr radiator in Kansas City, Kansas. Getting the thing out and in wasn't easy.

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Reply to
Nehmo

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Wisdom cannot be disquised..... Ignorance provides it's own testament.

I applaud your choice of repairs. Well done.

Problem is......now ....you'll never learn from your mistake. :)

As Benny Franklin sayed, Experience is a hard way to learn, but fools will learn in no other.

again, good job Nehmo..glad you got'r fixed.

~:~ MarshMonster ~highly experienced auto-tech~ ~sips is crownroyal~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I find it interesting that you counseled with a body shop with respect to a radiator problem.

A new radiator can be a good fix, if you dont buy a crappo unit.

Reply to
<HLS

I consulted with my friend at a body shop because he was my friend and he knows a lot about cars. I might have consulted him on *any* car question. However, he *does* have plenty of experience with radiators. The body shop deals with wrecked cars and consequently deals with replacing or fixing radiators.

-- (||) Nehmo (||)

Nehmo

======= ======= Believe me when i say......

Bodyshops....see ALOT of radiator problems.

ALOT

AWHOLELOT

ANASSOFEM

AWHOLEFK"NBUNCH

more than a few

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I dont doubt they see a lot. And probably replace a lot.

Apparently a lot of replacement radiators are junk, from some previous posts here. Radiator repair can also be junk, but done professionally it can be good.

A lot depends upon what you can, and are willing to, pay for.

Reply to
<HLS