Car acts like it wants to stall, shifting weird

I went over a speed bump perhaps a bit to fast this morning and I immediately had problems with the car shifting into gear (it is an automatic). After coming to a stop and starting again it acts like it wants to stall and then shifts into gear, next stop something similar.

Could going over the speed bump too fast caused the shifting or something to get messed up?

Reply to
stonej

you may have either knocked a vacuum hose loose, or damaged something on the tranny. Let these folks know the make and model year etc. and did you see sparks fly?

Reply to
ed

Didn't see any sparks fly and no engine warning lights went on etc.

Reply to
stonej

Make: 2001 Subara Legacy

No sparks.

Reply to
stonej

Check your fluid level.

Reply to
wws

Maybe it was more than an ordinary speed bump. I would be crawling under to inspect for physical damage. Look for anything that got knocked loose, but also check the bottom of the pan for dents.

Reply to
Al Bundy

"stonej" wrote

Soooooo, were you standing beside the car when it went over, or sitting inside with the floor in the way? Cars don't normally throw huge showers of sparks like in the movies. :)

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Fluid levels are OK. Drove it home last night with no problems, this morning is started doing it again, after idleing for awhile it wanted to stall out and shifting into gear it started jerking the car. On the way back from where I was going it didn't do it at all. Very strange, whatever it is seems to come and go on a whim. Something must have gotten jarred loose over the speed bump. To the dealership it goes on Monday.

Reply to
stonej

The speed bump incident may have been a coincidence rather than a cause. All problems start some time while other things are occuring.

Reply to
Al Bundy

The speed bump incident may have been a coincidence rather than a cause. All problems start some time while other things are occuring.

The check engine light now comes on. Off to the dealership tomorrow.

Reply to
stonej

Word the dealership this morning is that the oxygen sensor is malfunctioning.

Will cost me around $220 to get it fixed. Not too bad, at least it is not the transmission.

Reply to
stonej

Did this fix it? If so it is testament to the fact the e-controlled transmissions are tightly integrated w/ engine performance.

Thanks

MB

Reply to
mab992