Car battery saga

I'll try to keep this brief:

Wife comes in the house, says car won't start. I say impossible. I go out to car and confirm her observation...not even a click from the starter motor.

I pop the engine hood and look at the built in hydrometer. Red Zoned. WTF?

I put a charger on it, Error Code F02. IOW, this thing is so dead, even a charger can't charge it.

Now this is important: I put my jump kit on the battery, and the headlights come on full bright. I look at the dash, and the headlight switch is ON. I of course, turn the switch to OFF. She had left the headlights on in the garage overnight.

The jump kit provided enough polarity to the battery to allow the charger to Run. That's one important thing to note. Without the jump kit, there would have been no way to even charge this thing.

After charger said FULL some many hours later, I took a hydrometer reading of each cell. They were still Red Zoned ( specific gravity too low, IOW too much water, too little sulphuric acid, since the plates had the sulpher ). BUT...it started right up. So I threw the jump kit in the back seat and went looking to buy a new battery.

IIRC, BXT-36R IIRC. So I headed to the newly opened Auto Zone. Figured I would get fresh stuff there, and wanted the Duralast.

Well they should have labled it the Last Dura, because the date code on the thing was 2/05 !!!

I put that one on the floor, told the manager it was not *nice* to sell a customer a battery that's been on the shelf for TWO YEARS! and pulled the next and last one behind it. That one was USED as evidenced by the striations on the B+ terminal from having been in a vehicle, and the missing battery cap !!!

Two for Two, AUTOZONE STRIKES OUT!

Left the store, went to Wal Mart. Entered make of vehicle into their customer computer. First computer had a fubar display. Second one gave me the right equivalent to the Motorcraft part. So I pull the battery, and it's terminals are BARE ( pulled B+ cap ) and the terminals were sulfided !!! What is this shit? Isn't it Against the Law to sell USED as NEW?

Finallly I found one with a mfgr. date code of 9/06 and a shipping date of 10/06. I bought it, took it home, gave it a little distilled water, charged it, everything is fine.

3 shit batteries in a row at 2 well known stores. Pay attention and be careful. Never buy a battery that shows signs of having been used ( missing plastic cover on B+ terminal ) and is older than 6 months ( 3 months is my own maximum ).

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

That's interesting. I would have thought that with 6 or 8 million people nearby combined with the harsh winters that batteries would sell quickly.

Reply to
« Paul »

Buyer Beware. The nitwit at AutoZone was perfectly willing to let me walk out the door with his crap.

The guy at Wal Mart at least had the brains to pull the used battery from the store rack when I pointed out it was _used_ and burned.

Buyer Beware. CHECK THOSE DATE CODES, and be sure the B+ has a RED factory-installed plastic zip cap on it...once removed, not replaceable.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Or you can quickly strike the clamps of the charger together a couple times and then quickly hook it up to the battery to get the juices flowing. Not that I have experience tricking those newfangled automatic chargers into charging batteries that are "pining for the fjords."

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Or you can ebay one of the old-school chargers that aren't computerized....you know, the ones with the big 'ol transformer and an ammeter. That's all you really need anyway, I've never seen one that wasn't a taper charger, so you can't really cook the battery even if you leave it hooked up overnight.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I once dissected a charger, and that trick wouldn't help with it because it contained absolutely no capacitors. I think it would be necessary to hook up a second battery in parallel and then disconnect that battery to keep the charger going. Or that second battery could be left connected if it went through a diode to isolate it (banded cathode end of diode toward "+" terminal of dead battery).

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly