Car cover for the sun?

Any frugal ideas for a car cover to protect form the sun and ice?

Please, no trees are available where I live

Reply to
me

Thats a tough one. IMO it would be better with a tent cover that does not touch the car. Anything touching the car tends to hold in moisture and cause heat buildup. But then I am in Houston, TX.

Reply to
Paul

Any cover at all will cut way, way down on sunlight damage. In Arizona sunlight, the cheapest ones last about 12-18 months, the best about 4 years before they start tearing (usually first around the rearview windows, so consider cutting holes there) or shedding lots of lint. Costco and Wal-mart can be a lot cheaper than anyone else for covers. The tie-downs won't work in high winds; only a draw string all the way around the bottom perimeter or a bunch of magnets will do that.

Get metalized window tint because even the lightest will block at least 95% of the UV. A dashboard mat will block most sunlight but is actually very porous, so I line mine with a layer of aluminize mylar (space blanket material, like window tint). Apply vinyl preservative anyway. Covering the seats with a white bedsheet also helps, especially if it's washed every few weeks in detergent containing brightners, which boost the SPF from about 5x-8x to 30x-50x.

Higher priced car covers made of Tyvek or Technalon are advertised for being able to block rain, and even though you can form a bag out of the material and hold a couple of gallons of water without leaking a drop, rain will wick right trough. The only waterproof covers are made of vinyl.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

One of those blue tarps used for storm damaged house roofs.

Those cheap covers though, I once bought one at Wal Mart.It didn't even last a year. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Found some on the Net made from acrylic..... but cost was $395

Reply to
me