Car door won't open

I have 98 Honda Civic 4-door sedan and the rear door suddenly stopped opening. The door has a child lock enabled - but I could alway unlock open it from outside. Now I can't open it from outside or the inside (child locked).

Any thoughts on what could be wrong? All the locks go up and down - as expected - when I use the wireless remote. Is this easily fixable by oneself - or does it need a professional?

- GD

Reply to
gd_souza

Car door locks don't actually lock the door; when locked they simply prevent the latch from being operated. Unless the latch itself is damaged (unlikely), the problem is most likely that the linkage has separated. With the right tool (as used by locksmiths, tow truck operators and car thieves) it is possible to operate the latch and open the door. Then you would need to loosen or remove the inner door panel in order to get access to the linkage and re-attach it. Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

Reply to
Dan Beaton