car engine oil extended change

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

A car that sold so badly here they pulled it.

Reply to
Adrian

Not really true. Texas law allows for speed limits of 75 mph and even

80 mph in certain cases. These are only allowed in counties with very low population densities (15 people per square mile). Texas even allows a 75 mph speed limit on undivided two-lane roads. If you've ever been to west Texas, you know that in certain portions the fact that something is a two-lane road may not matter much, since you're unlikely to see other cars very often. It is not uncommon at all to be driving on a major road and not see any other cars on the road with you from horizon to horizon.

On the other hand, even in these situations, a car without very good handling is usually sufficient, since the terrain is generally as flat as a pancake and the roads are perfectly straight for mile after mile.

- Logan

Reply to
Logan Shaw

Oops, that should read 245,000 km^2. :-)

- Logan

Reply to
Logan Shaw

Yuck. You've just described everything I hate about big cars. I'd like at least a little road feel, please, and something resembling a comfortable, supportive seat. Acceleration and handling would be special, too.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Personally, I wouldn't care either way. To me, the displacement of an engine isn't a specification that matters to me when it comes to performance. If two engines have the same power curve, same reliability, same weight, some fuel economy, same cost, etc., and one is a larger displacement than the other, I regard that as wholly unimportant, even if it may be interesting from an engineering point of view.

I once owned a 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham with a

260 in^3 (4.3 L) V-8 engine rated at 110 hp. It was big, heavy, slow, and unreliable but with a spacious interior and a large trunk. Overall, a really terrible car, although 1980 was quite possibly the worst year ever for the US car industry. Having just done a lot of research, apparently cars made by US companies are now more reliable than European cars, at least among those sold in the US market. (It's possible the European makers have some great models they are holding back and not selling here. In fact, it's not only possible -- it's probable.)

- Logan

Reply to
Logan Shaw

You forgot to compare Nissan's dinky 2L 4 pot SR20VET. 278bhp, 35% more power from an engine less than 4/9 the size. Nissan killed the S platform of to make Z's, so they stuck it in a 4x4 thing X-Trail GT.

100bhp/L is now entry level for performance engines.

Peter Hill

My dinky car will take 2 6ft glass shower doors with the tailgate shut. Go on tell me your town car will take one sideways.

Peter Hill

I think you will find that's number 6. Infinity is a Nissan. G35 comes in 4 door and 2 door. G35 coupe is a 2+2 coupe closely related the 350Z. The 35 is a reference to the Renault 3.5L V6 that powers them ;-).

70%.

Peter Hill

Curves are of such little concern in the USA that people have had to die in shitboxes before they even start considering if testing to see if those shitboxes fall out of their tires when taking the curves on freeway intersections, would be a good idea. Be a whole lot safer to fit turntables in the road at all intersections. Drive on, toss a dime to some "wet back" to turn the handle so you point in the direction you want to go, drive off.

Peter Hill

My MG will drive through your 6-ft glass shower door without breaking it or bending the frame, while using less gas than the Town Car uses oil.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yes. It's based on the same Accord platform as all others, but has been stretched and teased to make it better fit North American roads and tastes. A big place this is...

Funny about the rest of the world. Wherever large cars *haven't* been taxed and regulated out of existence, that's what people buy. Small cars are only a hit where there;s little physical room, or where tax laws give them an advantage. Did you know that prior to the (upward) adjustment of the RAC's horsepower tax in Britain in 1925, two of the biggest selling cars were Buicks and the Ford Model-T?

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Peter Hill wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

I, unfortunately, have to drive a 2001 Town Car in order to make a living.

It's awful, truly, truly awful. Ok, the engine isn't bad, the gearbox is actually quite good, but the rest of the thing is about on par with mid 80's Korean stuff. The steering is utterly devoid of feel, the trim quality is a joke, the seats are unsupportive and showing lots of wear for a car that has only done 105k miles, the AC has never managed to make it through an entire season without failing, the electrics are lousy, the brakes aren't exactly brilliant - ok they stop the thing, but *drum* brakes on a car that weighs in at about the same as France?, the headlamps are rubbish, it's rusting like a mid 70's Italian econobox, the electric windows only work when they feel like, the trip computer has the same amount of accuracy as GWB, the suspension (heavy duty spec) is abysmal, it's not that quiet, it's slow, ponderous and unreliable.

I can actually understand why the Merkins tend to drive imports or "SUV"s instead of the produce of the US car industry.

We've also got a '95 Cadillac Fleetwood, which is also awful but at least has some poke, and a 2002 Excursion V10.

I quite like the Excursion, it's not had any servicing beyond oil changes and a set of brake discs + pads in the last 75k miles. It drives better than the Town Car but doesn't ride as well and the plastics used in the interior are frankly laughable, but the AC works as it should the brakes are pretty bloody good, the V10 is a magnificent engine (although it's *very* thirsty), the sound system is excellent, and the handling is far better than the Town Car or Caddy.

They've all rusted comically though, ok some of the rot is probably the fault of the coachbuilders in Merkinland not understanding that cars in the UK need better protection than in their homeland, but even the original Ford bits are spectacularly shoddy for what are meant to be luxury cars, even my

9 year old Renault puts them to shame, the fact that the 911 is now approaching 22 years old, lives outside and is in better condition than all of them is something the Merkin car industry should be bloody ashamed of.
Reply to
Pete M

There it is. These Wide Rides are designed for Big Sky Country. Get out on the superslab in Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, and punch the sucker. That's what these battleships are built for. NOT city dinkwork. Eurodink cars are designed for city dinkwork. Our battleships are designed for Big Sky Country. They're built to cruise at 80 miles/hour and stay there all day long without flinching. Day after day, week after week.

Your idea of a highway, quite frankly, is laughable. First time I was on the Autobahn in Germany, I laughed my ass silly. That's a back alley here in the Big City, a.k.a. Dinkmobile territory. When you get out into the WIDE OPEN SPACES of America, you can go forever, but not in a Dinkmobile. You'll need a _reall_ car for that.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Hugo Schmeisser ( snipped-for-privacy@invalid.cm) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Actually, no.

It only shares a name with what we get as the Accord.

Reply to
Adrian

Lawrence Glickman (Lawrence snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That's the top end of the normal range of 18.5-25.

The border of "Overweight" and "Obese". Now, just so I don't get accused of hypocrisy here - I'm a BMI of about a bit over 27. But I'm four inch taller than you, and a similar weight.

"Eat less, you fat bastards."

No, you lose feedback when you buy a crap vehicle.

Cobblers. You (as a nation, not just you personally) just need to learn how to drive something that doesn't have jelly (translation :- gell-o) between the steering wheel and the road.

Putting the Big Mac down while you drive is probably a good start.

Reply to
Adrian

What a car like a Range Rover, or a Jaguar XJ?

European cars are designed to cross Europe get up to speed in a big Merc or BMW and cross at a steady 100 to 150mph

Reply to
Martin

ROTFLMAO!

Reply to
Martin

No chance the back end would come of the Yanktank.

Reply to
Martin

Thats slow, oi Alistair time for an Alpina lesson please?

Reply to
Martin

And will outlast all of them you think?

Reply to