Car has problem .. shuts off when moving at any speed

ok... Here is the problem... My car stop runing...no warning... I have been going 70mph...it just dies.. I have cecked everything....here are two things that happen when this happens...

  1. the car stalls... when moving... no check eng light.. tack goes to
0 rpm.. but engine is beings driven by transmission... no tack! and no spark Then i stop try to restart... when i reset the key... no check eng light. I found out at this time If i reset the computer it sometimes will restart,,, almost all the time...

2 Once again the car stalls.. Every thing happens the same... but on thing is different... the check eng like works this time... no codes... and no spark.... but now to get it to restart.. I have to ground the power lead from the coil to the frame . which causes a short and the car start up and there is a spark again

I tried a computer from the junk yard... Same problem... but when it stoped with other computer i could use other one to restart the car without doing anything... but the junk computer would not always work....

also... when i am driving ... it does it... Alt turns off ... car restarts when moving some times...alt turns on... tack does same thing ... no codes

I need to know is if anyone else thinks it is the computer.... Before i go buy one for 250 dollars computer

Reply to
Zach

I would say it gets a big electric problem. Check for complete electric supply, connectors, battery, generator, etc. Hows about during this break down, any different with any other electric devices?

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

It sounds like it might be a fuel pump problem.....check voltage to the fuel pump and replace if it is low as it will not function properly if it gets low voltage....

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

It would be kinda nice to know if your car is a 1914 Franklin, a 2006 Charger, or something in between.

Zach wrote:

Reply to
Steve

The car is a 1990 ply sundance OK durning a stall the trans keeps the motor going.... alt volts drop as if the car was off... tack stops and one i stop and try to start... i check to see if there is a spark... no spark... fuel pump is working... So then i check to see if the check eng light is working... if it is I disconnect the battery... for 15 sec.... hook the battery back up and it starts....

The only time i have to ground out the coil packs power lead that runs ( from the computer to the coil) is when the check eng light does not come on at all even if i turn the car on and off..

but I have been having other things going wrong ...... The TCC stoped working..... oil light never worked... checkerd sending unit... works... checked light in cluster ...works

thanks...

Reply to
Zach

my 90 shadow done this th pick up in dis had a bad wire sound just like yours i could wiggles wire at distributor and kill the engine dont expect computor

Reply to
yoscowboy