Car Lighter Receptacle not working

There are two of those in my car and neither one is working. I'll probably take my car to mechanic to take a look as i need it to power my gps. Any ideas on what the cause might be and what roughly can i be expected to be charged for this.

thank you very much

Reply to
aaa

Blown fuse is very possible. Spare fuse probably in the fuse block.

Reply to
Steve W.

Maybe someone used one or both for coin holders. Most coins are metal. Metal shorts out the power receptacles.

Reply to
Paul

Like Steve said, check the fuse first. Not clear if you tried the GPS, but if it's the lighter not working, could just be the lighter element.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

We dont know what your car is. Blown fuses are most common. Sometimes these things oxidize and work only erratically.

On my old van, some of these were controlled by switches.

Simple to troubleshoot

Reply to
HLS

my car is 2002 galant. I've tried my cell phone which also has

12 volt power adapter. I can't see the light coming on on either one of the adapters as i believe they should.
Reply to
aaa

Check all your fuses first.

You can start with a simple trouble light. Costs only a few bucks. Turn the ignition switch on and test from center electrode to ground. (Be sure you have a real ground)..

If no go, move backward in the system.

Most often you will find the problem with a blown fuse, a defective socket, or a switch off (that should be on).

Again, this is not hard to wring out. If you need help, post further with results of your tests. You can do this...

Reply to
HLS

Simple. Check fuse #9 in the dash junction block located in the left most driver's knee area. There should be an access panel or access to it from underneath the dash. Fuse #9 is a blue 15 amp fuse located approximately in the center of a section of three rows of minifuses in the middle of the junction block. It will be blown. Replace it with a new fuse of exact dimension and 15 amp rating. They are called mini blade fuses. Usually power point fuses blow due to crappy adaptors shorting out the terminals in your power or cigarette sockets. If any of your adaptors have loose terminals or components in the male plug area, replace them. Also, if you are using the cigarette socket, stop doing that and use the power socket because it has a contact designed for adapters, not heating elements.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Thanks a lot to everyone. It was in fact a bad fuse which was easily replaced by a mechanic. Both of my power sockets are working now.

thanks again.

Toyota MDT > aaa wrote:

Reply to
aaa