Car running hot

I have a 96 Ford Mustang GT 110,000 miles. I am the original owner.

I was in Atlanta yesterday and my car started running hot. The traffic was stop and go. I noticed a puff of smoke coming from the grill of the car. I turned the heater on and took the first exit. My temperature gauge was almost red lined. Turning on the heater and getting out of stopped traffic caused the temperature to come back down to around mid way of the gauge. I drove it to the restaurant and parked it and went in and ate. When I came out, I checked the radiator and it was full. I had checked the oil before I left the house and it was maybe a quarter quart low.

----------------------------------- Back in the summer the car had overheated and I took it in to the mechanic to have it checked out. He said that he didn't find anything wrong with it but he changed the radiator cap. I drove it for a week and it didn't overhead again, but I was never in stop and go traffic. I flushed out the radiator and filled it with half and half coolant.

A few weeks after having flushed the radiator the check engine light came on. I was very near the place where I buy tires for the car. I stopped in and they put it on the computer and it said the error code was "cylinder 3". They reset the computer and told me I probably needed a tune up. I later took it back to the mechanic. He said that could mean that I had a blown head gasket. He did a pressure check and said there was no leak. He also added some stop leak and I have driven it for several months and no overhead or no engine light.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Unbolt the top radiator mounts. This will give enough play to see down the front of the radiator the AC condenser blocks seeing it otherwise. Peer down in there and see how dirty it is. If it is, clean it.

I had a hot running problem that came and went with my '97 depending on ambient temp and driving conditions. Diagnosised that the radiator wasn't cooling properly. I purchased a new radiator and when I went to install it I found the original was very dirty where I couldn't see or get at prior to disassembly. I replaced it anyway. (got a real ford part on closeout, no returns) On a '99 owned by someone else I removed the top mounts for access, found the rad dirty, gave it a good cleaning with a garden hose nozzel without removing it, bolted it back into place and the problem went away.

Reply to
Brent

First, check to see if there is dirt, bugs, crud blocking the core. They suck up all kinds of dirt and crap off the road. Next check the fan and it's relay. Could be it has fried.

Do you know what code they actually got? Easy check for a bad head gasket, stick the probe from an exhaust gas analyzer in the coolant overflow ans start the engine. ANY reading means a bag head gasket as there is no other way for exhaust gases to get into the coolant. If nobody has one you can buy a kit to check for combustion gases in the coolant. I've seen gaskets that held under pressure when cold but seeped when hot.

Reply to
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote in news:lem08q$ifv$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Certain models in the salt-ridden north-east can have an additional problem: rad fins that get corroded and fall off, dramatically reducing the rad's heat-exchanging capacity. This phenomenon is easily seen and felt, and is normally located at the bottom of the rad.

Reply to
Tegger

Always a possibility the fan motor or relay if it has one is acting up. Next time it overheats get out before you shut off the engine and take a quick look to see if the fan is running.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Right there is your problem.

Reply to
T0m $herman

Make sure the high speed coolant fan(s) is/are working. If only the low speed fans are working, it's going to get hot when the car is not moving, or moving very slowly. Check that along with what everyone else suggested...

Reply to
Bill Vanek

Sure does. Salt and brine LOVE copper and aluminum... The crap gets into everything it can and rots the various parts. Up here you can try to stop the rot nut unless you never take the vehicle out of the garage it's going to rot.

Reply to
Steve W.