Car Stalls Going Uphill

My 1990 Chevy Celebrity Wagon, 3.1 stalls when going up a hill. Almost feels like its out of gas but it isn't. *Sometimes* it will stall when its on a level area or idleing. Trying to re-start can be a pain, but eventually it will restart. Anyone have any ideas on what to look for before I mess something up? BTW, the fuel pump is around a year old. Thanks! Jay

Reply to
bajazza

Fuel filter?

Reply to
RayV

Does it have a carb? Float adjustment could be off.

Reply to
hillpc

No carb, fuel injection. This is driving me nuts. I don't think it is a fuel filter as I changed it when I changed the fuel pump awhile back. What do yo think of something like a crankshaft sensor or MAF sensor, both suggested to me by the guys at Autozone? Thanks, Jay

Reply to
bajazza

Just because you "don't think it is a fuel filter as I changed it when I changed the fuel pump awhile back" and "the fuel pump is around a year old", doesn't mean a thing. You have to check the fuel pressure/ fuel filter to correctly diagnosis the problem. You have to check the basics before doing anything. A crankshaft sensor will not cause this problem. MAF will usually stumble/stall, and "sometimes" act like it's running out of gas. If you can't find a problem after checking the basics, check it for "hard codes". If your going to go by suggestions from Autozone/Advanced, then just start bolting stuff on.

Reply to
dahpater

Check the fuel tank vent system, if it is clogged you can experience these symptoms.

Reply to
Paul Elliot