car won't start - cold weather

I was out of town for 3 weeks and my 2000 Neon was left in an open parking lot with temperature ranging 20-30 deg F. I had someone start the car once a week during these 3 weeks. It was last started about 5 days back. But now it won't start. Do I need to jump-start the car or do I have a bigger problem? I would really appreciate some help.

thanks PP

Reply to
almighty

Does the battery have enough charge to crank the starter?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Thanks for your response. How do I find that out? When I try to start, it keeps making a chugging noise but the car doesn't start. -PP

Reply to
PP

If the starter is turning the engine over at a reasonable speed, you probably don't need a jump start.

-------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Thanks for your response Alex. So what should I do? Should I keep trying to start it the regular way? How long should I try - 5 min, 10 mins ? -PP

Reply to
PP

As long as the starter cranks and sounds normal, you don't need a jump. Do you have an alarm on this car? Also, if its below freezing its possible your fuel line is frozen. Try starting it mid-day.

You only need to try once or twice, it should start right up. Continuing to crank it won't help it start if there is a problem.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Sounds like you might need to add some antifreeze to the gas line (thru the gas tank).... if it starts up on warm days, then this should help it to work better.... I assume you keep the car tuned regularly?

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

There is a problem with a 'lot' of the newer vehicles in that kind of situation. The starter takes all the power which doesn't leave enough to fire up the computer so it won't start.

This seems to be a pretty common problem way up here in the north.

There is a cut off voltage and if the battery shows less than that when the starter is turning, you will not start. The starter can still be cranking. A battery with a bad or low cell is bad for this. The starter still cranks, but the volts go below 10 volts or so.

I would try a boost and leave the boosting vehicle hooked up charging the battery for a few minutes before trying to crank it.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@sa>

Reply to
Mike Romain

shut off voltage on automotive electronic modules is typically 6-9 volts. For engine controllers it can be lower for the reasons you point out. However, there is no way there will be enough power to crank the starter but not enough to run an engine controller or ignition coil. Well not unless there was some crazy flaw in the design.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Chrysler has done that very well with the newer fancy Jeeps. It happens a lot. Enough to crank, no start. Replace battery and away you go.

Then if you have a little corrosion on the body ground tag, it happens a 'lot' easier.

Mike

Mike Romain

Define " won't start". Does it crank over and not fire up or does it not crank at all ?

Reply to
NickySantoro

yeah it cranks and not fire up. - PP

Reply to
PP

yes. a wiring problem can indeed cause this. Im surprised to hear about the Chrysler. its one of the basic tests all OEMs do to their cars. Every module has a low voltage requirement, and the engine controller has what I assume to be the most robust. However, the engine controller is also one of the least competitive modules. They are all done in-house in US OEMs AFAIK... OEMs also have a tendency to undervalue systems analysis.

Thats too bad.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

If it's cranking over nice and fast like normal, try some spray starting fluid in the intake. If it fires up then dies you likely have a fuel problem. Check your fuses especially for the fuel pump. If it doesn't fire up using the starting fluid, you likely have an ignition problem. Look for dampness on or around the ignition components and dry them off as much as possible and try again.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Thanks for all your responses.

Reply to
PP

Ok, now I got a another, may be related problem. I was able to jump-start the car and took it for a long ride. Now, even if I leave it out at 15F-30F temperature for 5/6 days, it starts up alright. But if I drive it for say 5 minutes to the grocery store and then stop it, it doesn't start when I'm done shopping in say 5-15 minutes. However, if I drive it for half an hour before shutting off the engine, it starts up again. Is this problem battery related or something else has gone wrong too?

thanks PP

Reply to
PP

I think you are describing a bad connection somewhere so the power isn't getting to the computer from this latest bit. The power will be low after a start and slow to recharge with the bad connection. It is unlikely a bad cell will hold for the 5 days and still start it. I would be checking the body ground and cleaning it.

Mike

Mike Romain