Car won't start, TPS question

(99 Cavalier 2.2 auto) ... Which suddenly won't start. Cranks, has spark. No diagnostic codes. I haven't checked fuel yet (the pump does run), because I'm having trouble disconnecting the GD 'quick disconnects'. For now, I'll leave that till later.

Using 'Proscan' OBD software (on a laptop), the coolant and intake temp sensors look OK. The Throttle Position Sensor shows a reading of '0', which doesn't change when I move the throttle. The actual voltage measured at the sensor is OK.

So, my questions:

- Should the TPS reading on the scanner indicate correctly, even though the engine isn't running? (I think it would.)

- If the TPS signal was bad (like a broken wire between the sensor and the computer), would this keep the engine from starting?

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

Yes.

No.

The TPS issue may have existed previously, or more likely the source of both it and the non-start problem is mice chewing on the wiring, and in addition to the TPS wiring, they probably ate wiring to the fuel injectors as well. If you have a mechanics stethoscope or even just put your ear close you should be able to hear the injectors click when they fire while you have someone else crank the engine.

Reply to
Pete C.

lol How did you diagnose "mice"?!?! lol

You should get a TPS reading of around .75, with key on/engine off or running at idle.

Reply to
thenitedude