Caravan Trans swap What went wrong?

Hello. I have a 1994 Dodge Caravan 3.0 auto with the 3 speed transmission. Long story short we got one at a junkyard we are hoping works and got the old one out just fine but when we went to lift the new one into place it didnt seem to want to get into the proper position. We are using an engine hoist and lifting it from above with a strap. Once we get close to position it seems there`s always something hitting or out of line. It`s the exact same transmission so I was getting aggrevated and stopped for the weekend. What could have happened? Maybe the engine shifted into an odd position while taking the old one out? I`m a day from just pushing this thing to the junkyard! Anyone who has done this exact swap have any input I would be very happy. Thank you.

Reply to
Programbo

Make sure there isn't a locator pin stuck in the new trans. They belong in the engine block. If either side has a pin in the block and in the trans, it will obviiously never go in.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

Rotate the converter some to make sure it is all the way into the pump. Watch out for wiring, tubing or other parts that may get pinched between the trans and the engine. (fingers included)

Very few times will you have a trans just drop into place without having to wrestle it a bit.

Reply to
Steve W.

I wasted at least a day doing that once!

When in doubt, put some engineer's blue on the both sides when they don't mate if you can't see what isn't mating... that way at least you can see which parts of what made contact when the blue is scraped off.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Look at Steve W.'s comment. I can remember some applications where the torque convertor was prone to sliding out, and we had to use a little tool, basically a little metal strap bolted to the mounting surface, to hold it in place while we wrestled the tranny into position with the flexplate. (The tool was then unbolted and slipped out)

Did you re-use the original torque convertor and flexplate? If not, you could have gotten some mismatched parts.

Reply to
hls

Hello. Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. Appearently the reason the transmission wouldnt line up with the engine is because the engine was pushed several inches back from it`s original location. Not a lot but just enough so that the transmission wouldnt go that far back without hitting the firewall/crossmember..We were so focused on moving the transmission back to where the engine was it never occured to us to move the engine forward to the transmission :-(

Reply to
Programbo

Double check engine left to right position. There is a spec in the repair manual. It needs to be correct, to prevent bottoming out of the axleshafts when the suspension compresses.

Reply to
Steve Walker