carrying fire extinguisher in car that you can't drill?

I fab'd a quick platform to hold a laptop for navigation in my truck (before all the cheap GPS units came out), and it's mounting was just sandwiched under the passenger seat mounting bolts.

Reply to
Pete C.

I generally carry just the cheap ABC dry chemical ones because I can get them cheap/sometimes free from work, but for a car that I really care about I do have a Halon bottle.

What I would like to know is if any of the newer clean agent extinguishers are going to be approved by SCCA etc. any time soon, not that I actually race but I may want to do so in the future, Halon is expensive and is only going to get more so as time goes on...

nate

Reply to
N8N

A few months ago, I checked the gage on my Fisher fire extinguisher in my kitchen.It is still up to snuff. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Get a big cardboard box of baking soda.Baking soda always does my upset stomach real good.One time in Vietnam, one of our guys was about to die.Carbon scraped off of some burnt tree limbs, half and half carbon and water in a canteen, twice saved his life. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

just a hint, if you are like me and use "old" fire extinguishers (a lot of mine are ones from commercial installations that were to be discarded because they were more than six years old and it was cheaper to replace them than it was to have them hydro'd and recharged) whenever you check the gauges on your extinguishers, take them out of the bracket and invert them for a minute or so, then replace. There are more failure modes of old extinguishers than simply losing charge. One of them is the dry chemical powder inside packing down in the bottom causing a failure to discharge. There are absolutely no guarantees that this will keep them good - if they are in that mission critical an environment you really should be doing a six year hydro/recharge and/or simply replacing every six years with brand new - but it is better than doing nothing.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

None of mine were fuel fire. Two were electrical fires, one was "spontaneous combustion" when someone plugged a vent in the engine compartment with a rag, that got oil soaked. That one took several stops to find, because it would only smoke when car got moving at 30 or

40 mph or more. An extinquisher was not needed on that one, as once I found the problem I grabbed a stick and dug out the rag. Actually, didn't need an extinguisher on the other two either. One stopped when the battery got drained far enough, the other, in a radio I reached under the dash with a rag and grabbed the wire to radio and yanked.

But, after those three incidents I began to think I was fire prone and did then get an extinquisher.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

N8N wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z28g2000prd.googlegroups. com:

Seems to me any holes that would be drilled would be covered by a little combing of the carpet once the extinguisher is removed when it's time to turn in the lease vehicle.

Reply to
Larrybud