Catalytic Converter thefts.

Watching local news on tv, some thieves are going around town the auto junk yards and stealing catalytic converters.About a week ago, the same news alert was on another local tv station news channel.I think the tv news people said one ounce of platnium is worth $1,500.Keep a close eye on your catalytic converters. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

According to my quick Googling, there's only about 1.5 grams of platinum/palladium in a catalytic converter which makes it worth about $5. Thieves aren't rocket scientists and neither are the TV reporters whose report might encourage thieves ;)

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Local radio station recently had someone pull up all their ground radial cables to sell for the copper. However... the cable was all copper-clad steel and really worth nothing. Took about a week of work to get a new ground system laid, too.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

i see some of guys around here steal copper from construction sites. maybe that pays better.

Reply to
boxing

There are some people around here that steal anything that isn't in Fort Knox. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

We've had thieves here drilling holes in gas tanks and stealing gas, then cutting the exhaust pipes with battery powered saws to steal the catcon's as well as the gas!

Reply to
Master Asshole

As of today, platinum is about $1700 per ounce. Palladium is about $400.

1.5 grams of platinum is worth more like $75-80, and the equivalent palladium would be worth about a fourth of that.

Still, there are a lot of people who would be happy to steal that much money. If they werent too lazy to cut the catcon off the car.

Reply to
HLS

Many years ago, Russia turned out some kitchen pots and pans that had real platinum in them.I once read about it in Antique Trader. cuhulin, the Antique

Reply to
cuhulin

And I point and laugh at these SUV owners who get their catalytic converter stolen.

Reply to
scott21230

Yeah, there have been several articles like that. They are probably just selling the converter outright to less than scrupulous recyclers. I can't imagine those thieves are doing any meltdown and recovery. There can't be many places that actually refine and recycle exotic metals like that.

Reply to
John S.

They sell them to unscrupulous repair shops to get vehicles to pass emissions tests.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Another reason I prefer old, old, old vehicles.Nothing much to worry about with them. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Except passing emissions tests and finding replacement parts. Not to mention the fact you can't find leaded gasoline around anymore.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

One Chicago Nissan dealer got hit by Catalytic Converter thieves in

2007. Close to 30 were stolen off new cars on the lot. They estimate the damage at $30,000 to repair / replace the exhuast systems.

A friends daughter had one stolen in broad daylight from her ten year old Regal parked on a fairly busy street in a downtown Chicago.

Police say it takes less than 30 seconds to cut off a converter if your using a good Saws All.

harryface

91 Bonneville 311,440 05 Park Avenue 65,036
Reply to
Harry Face

If the convertor on a given car is dead and not catalyzing then how is it wrong or unscrupulous to replace the bad one with a used but still functioning good one?

Reply to
John S.

It's illegal to sell or install a used converter (which means they are probably selling stolen parts as new), otherwise there's nothing wrong with it.

Reply to
E Frank Ball III