catcon and power

After it started to rattle, I had one of the catalytic converters replaced on my '05 Grand Marquis. Since then, I suspect that the engine is running more smoothly, and also seems to have more pep.

Am I imagining this, or can replacing a catcon make a noticable difference in power?

Reply to
freemont

"freemont" wrote

My T-Bird also made a slightly irritating rattling noise. Turns out the substrate had come loose in the pre-cat, and the exhaust pulses had bounced it around so much that little pieces of it had broken off and made their way to the main cat, while the disintegrating pre-cat slowly turned itself sideways inside the pipe until it was almost completely blocking the exhaust flow from the left side of the engine. Some new cats turned the chuff-chuff-chuff back to a vroooom.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Reply to
Mike Walsh

In 2004, I "rodded" the catcon on an '82 Dodge with Slant Six and after venting some smelly gasses it ran a lot better. I did it with a piece of 1" square tubing (sharpened the edges) and retrieved some of the ceramic honeycomb material from the center. The stuf was mostly clogged...

Pete

Reply to
ratatouillerat