cavalier: fuel filter removal?

'99 Cavalier. I'm actually trying to replace the gas tank. The pressure line has a plastic "quick disconnect" on the inlet side of the filter. After many hours of cleaning and screwing around, I broke the outside tabs off. Oh shit.

Is there any way to extract the locking mechanism after the tabs are destroyed? If not, is there a plan B?

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

I think you're mistake about this one: this is a plastic lock. The Chevy book says you just squeeze it with your hand, which I'm sure would work on the factory floor. These had gotten a little brittle. Anyway, even the Chevy book doesn't call for a special tool - just your hand. And, BTW, for the 'metal' disconnects, I did get the tool.

So, thanks for not very much.

George

Reply to
George

Why would anyone need to "buy" fingers? That's the only "special" tool you need for this setup. Unfortunately, the op has run into a common situation where the area where the quick disconnect is has probably become crammed with dirt....maybe some corrosion. In these cases, I usually liberally spray some type of lubricant in there while pulling back and forth on the line and turning the line. Eventually, you can release the plastic tabs.

But since you don't have the tabs anymore.....it could be a little bit more involved.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Well, I did get it off, finally. Brute force, using a couple of end wrenches to pry against the filter case. No apparent damage, except to the retainer clip.

And, I did clean it out (before breaking the first tab), to a point where the plastic was moving quite freely. But, I still wasn't able to get it to release the lock. There may be a skill deficit.

George

Reply to
George