cavalier lurching

Have a 1995 Cavalier, manual. 152,000. A year and a half ago replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, and egr valve.

The thing has been lurching or bucking of late.

First noticed it was few weeks ago when driving at higher speeds --40,

45, 50, somewhere in there. The car would hestitate for a split second or get a surge of power, or both. Hard to tell.

Then I noticed it while accelerating in the lower gears. The thing would start bucking wildly maybe four or five times, the speedometer jumping up dramatically, before going back to normal. I say it happen during acceleration, but it also occured while going at a steady clip.

Lastly, on two ocassionas the thing stopped running while I was at a stop sign. Started right up again though.

Anyone know what's going on here? What are three things I could check out.

Reply to
denaman

Doubt that it's the engine. Sounds like transmission torque converter problems. Might just be a wire or sensor connected to it loose or going bad. Not uncommon at all with GM vehicles. I'd take it to a well respected transmission shop.

Reply to
danyexp